Back in an idi again redux..this is a must see guys!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well crap, the guy that had a "hydroboost" set for sale doesn't know the differance between a vaccuum booster and a hydrobooster.:mad:
Since it was coming off a 96 ram 2500 cummins truck, I thought it would be a hydroboost set-up, my 97 and 98 rams both had hydroboost. But this 96 assembly was a vaccuum booster. So there goes my super find on a hydroboost for the big green slimer. Guess I'll keep searching, everywhere else I look is about $250 for a set up off a superduty or big truck. I like the sound of $50 much better, so I'll keep searching.

Chevy boosters ran me like $17 from the U-Pull-It two years ago, may be up to $25 now. Remanufactured master cylinder of your choice is about $20-25, bit more for a new one. I know for sure the '80s Chevy hydroboost units can use Superduty (old F450) pressure lines as that's just what I'm running in my truck right now. Additionally, Astro vans run hydroboost too, only their pedal rods are much shorter than what fullsize Chevy trucks use - crawl up under your dashboard when you get the chance and measure up the distance between the firewall and the pin of the brake pedal where the booster rods attaches too, and I can probably recommend you what GM hydroboost to get.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Thanks Ivan, I have a friend trying to hunt down an electric over hydraulic unit from a medium duty truck that had hydraulic brakes, this would be a really cool system to have. He thinks he can get me one cheaper than what the junk-yards want. I'll keep ya posted.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeremy, are you talking about the Bendix Hydromax system? This thing is a monster, but this is to match the monster-sized calipers the medium-duty trucks have, something so big requires big master cylinder and therefore big booster, if you put the big booster and master on brake system with small calipers (compared to the original medium-duty ones) the pedal will be very high and you may also blow some seals...

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Jeremy, are you talking about the Bendix Hydromax system? This thing is a monster, but this is to match the monster-sized calipers the medium-duty trucks have, something so big requires big master cylinder and therefore big booster, if you put the big booster and master on brake system with small calipers (compared to the original medium-duty ones) the pedal will be very high and you may also blow some seals...

If thats the case, I guess I might just have to put medium duty axles in the truck:D darn that would be a real heart-breaker.;Really

Thanks for the insight, I figured it would be overkill, but if I get a hold of a set up cheap enough, I will give it a try anyways to see how it works.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I like your thinking - go right ahead, I'd be really interested in how it actually turns out... And you know to take pics of it, of course :p

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Awesome truck. A couple of guys have mentioned that there were no factory CC LB's made in the 70's. This isn't correct. Check out this LINK:
http://www.joestrucks.com/forsale.php
I have always wanted a late 70s F350 CC LB, but I guess I'll settle for my 93 and 97 CC LB's for now. Wife might get upset if I bring another project home!!!
Jerry

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Awesome truck. A couple of guys have mentioned that there were no factory CC LB's made in the 70's. This isn't correct. Check out this LINK:
http://www.joestrucks.com/forsale.php
I have always wanted a late 70s F350 CC LB, but I guess I'll settle for my 93 and 97 CC LB's for now. Wife might get upset if I bring another project home!!!
Jerry

I can tell you this much for sure, my frame has been cut and stretched. I don't know for a fact that Ford never made a crewcab long bed in the 70's, thats just what I have been told by others. And seeing my trucks frame lengthend, makes me kinda think its true. Maybe my fram is from a supercab, heck I dont know. The truck is a combination of a few different years. The cab/body is a 74, it's titled 1974. The front grill is a 78/79. The engine is from an 85 shuttle bus. The trans and transfercase is fom a mid-80's diesel 4x4. C-6, NP 208. So my truck is a bunch of parts cobbled together, it runs and drives and needs some tlc, but I still love it. I get a big smile on my face everyday when I come home from work and see it setting there in the drive.:D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
1979 F-350 crew cab long bed..........with a 6.9 diesel in her!!

I just got the blue 94 idi a couple weeks ago, and then I found this and had to have it.

They can say what they want about the 80's trucks, just like I said about Tim's, I like this body style better than anything ford made. The late 60's trucks were cool too, but these just look great built up. I'm undecided on the paint, but nice looking rig otherwise and in the 2 minutes I looked at it my mind went from holy sheet that's ugly paint to, I don't know, that's kind of cool! ;Sweet

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
They made CC LB trucks from the factory in 79, I'm not too sure about 78. I use to work with a guy who had one & so did his brother.They loved those trucks. I do know they said there were very few made so they are rare items.
Seeing these old fords makes me miss my early 77 High Boy. I'd love to put a 7.3 in one of those!

Ranger429

Reaction score
They made CC LB trucks from the factory in 79, I'm not too sure about 78. I use to work with a guy who had one & so did his brother.They loved those trucks. I do know they said there were very few made so they are rare items.

Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you. The only crewcab longbeds were made in 2wd. 4x4 models only came in a shortbed version.

Both of these books from Ford only list one wheelbase for a CC 4x4 model.

This article is from a book called 1979 Ford light truck facts.
You must be registered for see images attach

This next article is from Ford as well. It was a book that they gave out to new truck buyers back in 79 so they could order a truck.

And just so you know I didn't come here to call you out. I happen to own a 79 CC 4x4 and am interested in doing a diesel swap.

Pipeliner didn't I see this truck for sale not long ago? Did you get rid of it?

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
I had a 1976 F350 Crewcab XLT long box. All original. 460, C6, D70 in the rear, and it was a 2wd. It had AC and all the trim. It was a damn good truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online