Auto Trans Gurus Please Help

Nughuffer

Reaction score
So I bought a 2005 2500 HD cummins auto with 95k on it 2 days ago. Got a great deal. It was my first diesel. Not new at all to wrenching. I Drove it approx 900 miles yesterday, ran fine as far as interstate travel is concerned. Now it sticks in 2nd gear after stopping, even if I shift it myself into 1. All of a sudden it will drop into first while stopped, or when its in # 1 gear position it will jump into 2nd or any combo in between. Couldnt even pull myself up the driveway thats a 2% grade and gravel WFO and the lever shifting did nothing. Theres an open recall on the shift from park alarm that has not been completed. Ya know the one where you can shift from park without the brake applied.... Could the linkage/linkage recall be a culprit? Ive changed the fluid and filters hoping and wishing and that seemed to help a little but that is a major PITA to manually shift and it still wants to take off in 2nd most of the time. PLEASE help me. Ive got no recourse with the dealer and Dodge wont warranty it because I am the 3rd owner. To the best of my knowledge and rooting around it hasnt had any mods. Looks like it did do some sizable towing based on the chopped braked controller wires I found and the ball in the bed. Any ideas? Kicking myself hard in the nuts for buying this without seeing it first.... whats a decent reman cost?

Whit

Reaction score
change the oil in it and see how it works out, thats bout all ya can do for now

look into doing an aftermarket valve body and torque converter so the tranny will be close to bullet proof

is this a 47re or a 48re?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 100K warranty is void on the 3rd owner?

Nughuffer

Reaction score
not sure 14 bolt pan, square filter 2 30 size torx bolts to remove filter. Warranty is transferable to second owner for 150 dollars. 3rd owner SOL. I'm really thinking it has something to do with the linkage. It barely goes into park. Likes to sit in between park and reverse. I dont know..... guess ill take it to the dealer for the recall and go from there. Where would I go to look for these aftermarket parts?

klichwil

Reaction score
There is a fix out there for that!!!! Thew problem is a sticky pressure solenoid!!! Do not waste the money on puttting in normal solenoids and pressure sensors. You need to get a "GM Control Kit". The 48RE trans has problems with the fluid passages in the pressure sensor/solenoid body. The GM kit comes with a cast machined aluminum body and a GM pressure solenoid with a pigtail adapter. It is not terribly expensive and fairly east to install. It is THE way to go on these trannys. I am 99.99999% confident it will kill your problem and make your tranny work awesome!!!

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
There is a fix out there for that!!!! Thew problem is a sticky pressure solenoid!!! Do not waste the money on puttting in normal solenoids and pressure sensors. You need to get a "GM Control Kit". The 48RE trans has problems with the fluid passages in the pressure sensor/solenoid body. The GM kit comes with a cast machined aluminum body and a GM pressure solenoid with a pigtail adapter. It is not terribly expensive and fairly east to install. It is THE way to go on these trannys. I am 99.99999% confident it will kill your problem and make your tranny work awesome!!!
Klitcheil is correct about the gov solenoid being the issue. It is possible to pull the valve/solenoid apart and clean it but you might as well just buy a new one or go with the part that was posted above. Suncoast, PATC, and a few others sell the GM solenoid conversion kit.

Nughuffer

Reaction score
Yea, definitely did the the pressure sensor and the other part that usually needs replacing in these valve bodies, transducer something or other. I got both shipped to the house for a little over a $100 iirc. Its a 48re BTW. I got first gear back but the "hunt" between 1-2 and 2-3 is still there and fairly prevalent not to mention annoying as hell. I've just been dealing with it and trying to make it last as long as possible. I'm right around 110k now. I've been told that adjusting the bands could help out, but some say it just makes it worse. I tow about 8-10k GN hauler with me and my bros buggies fairly regularly and really don't have the cash to drop on a 5-6k bullet proof trans as nice as that would be. I generally drive around in tow/haul mode to keep the converter from slipping too much, and with a little throttle manipulation i can generally get through the gears without a bunch of hunting. Still sucks, but that's what you get for buying a truck off the internet without driving/inspecting it first. Other than a #4 injector line and a couple u-joints its been pretty good to me. Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate the help and Ill definitely look into the GM conversion if I need to do this again..

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Have you checked the adjustment on the throttle valve cable? And checked the shifter adjustment?

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Yea, definitely did the the pressure sensor and the other part that usually needs replacing in these valve bodies, transducer something or other. I got both shipped to the house for a little over a $100 iirc. Its a 48re BTW. I got first gear back but the "hunt" between 1-2 and 2-3 is still there and fairly prevalent not to mention annoying as hell. I've just been dealing with it and trying to make it last as long as possible. I'm right around 110k now. I've been told that adjusting the bands could help out, but some say it just makes it worse. I tow about 8-10k GN hauler with me and my bros buggies fairly regularly and really don't have the cash to drop on a 5-6k bullet proof trans as nice as that would be. I generally drive around in tow/haul mode to keep the converter from slipping too much, and with a little throttle manipulation i can generally get through the gears without a bunch of hunting. Still sucks, but that's what you get for buying a truck off the internet without driving/inspecting it first. Other than a #4 injector line and a couple u-joints its been pretty good to me. Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate the help and Ill definitely look into the GM conversion if I need to do this again..
A valve body upgrade by a reputable builder or even just a shift kit from TransGo will help with the hunting and increase the service life of your clutches. VB upgrades are a MUST if you tow AND have power upgrades.
The 01 in my sig makes pretty good power, tows heavy, gets run pretty hard, and has 130,000 miles on the factory transmission. At 90,000 miles I added about 250hp and installed a Dunrite VB at the same time. So far I have hed no issues related to the increased power and she will boil the tires from a 40mph roll:D

Nughuffer

Reaction score
So far I have hed no issues related to the increased power and she will boil the tires from a 40mph roll:D

Wow, that sounds fun. LOL
What all is involved in valve body mods i.e removing it and cost etc..? I don't have tons of experience with auto trannys but I do remember a bunch of little balls and whatnot from rebuilding (more like attempting to) a TH400 a few years back. It was a massive PITA and something I dont want to deal with in a gravel driveway. I got laid off back in October so money is pretty tight and being Easter I doubt any builders are open. I guess Ill call around some tomorrow and see what's up. Kind of feels like a kick in the pants to have to take it somewhere to get fixed...LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7