ATS up pipe joint

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's been beat to death, but I'm gonna try anyway...
Coworker buddy was going to look at a 84 F250 4x4 6.9/4 speed, and wanted me to go since I'm familiar with these old trucks. Ended up taking my 84 with a car hauler and towing the other 84 home. I'd say he did good for $500.
You must be registered for see images attach

But to the point; towing this mess home, my truck just didn't have the power it should have. Did some investigating, and the slip joint where the up pipe goes into the turbo is once again leaking on my ATS 085 system. I've already tried every exhaust sealer I can find, every one of them only lasts a few hundred miles, then starts leaking again. Anybody have any better alternatives?
I'm thinking maybe trying to roll a bead on the up pipe or take it to an exhaust shop to see if they can expand it a little bit for a better fit.
I've already taken this mess apart 3 different times, so I want this one to be for good.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
new pipes is the solution. i went threw the same thing with my 093 kit. tried all kinds of sealants and nothing worked. my pipes were just too worn out. I finally got new pipes from Russ and haven't looked back since.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On your 085 it will need expanded. wish I had older parts but only 093 castings.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I've been remembering. I think I'll just dismantle the up pipe and turbo, take the whole thing to an exhaust shop.