ats turbo vs factory turbo?

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys. just out of curiosity is the ats 093 the same turbo set up ford used from 93-94 on their factory turbo engines? ive read some things such as the turbine housings being different sizes. and the downpipes. ive been on youtube too much today and the ats kit seems to whistle a lot more than the factory turbo. is it just in the downpipe letting it breathe more? I have a factory 7.3 turbo and I would love if my truck sounds that way. I already am putting in a 3'downpipe to a full 5' straight pipe as well as a custom intake. if I ever get the engine in :D

thank you!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys. just out of curiosity is the ats 093 the same turbo set up ford used from 93-94 on their factory turbo engines? ive read some things such as the turbine housings being different sizes. and the downpipes. ive been on youtube too much today and the ats kit seems to whistle a lot more than the factory turbo. is it just in the downpipe letting it breathe more? I have a factory 7.3 turbo and I would love if my truck sounds that way. I already am putting in a 3'downpipe to a full 5' straight pipe as well as a custom intake. if I ever get the engine in :D

thank you!

There are some aftermarket ATS that used upgraded housings and 3" dp and some used same outlet as ford iirc just better

Pm @typ4 hes the ats guru here or wait for him to reply...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep the Factory Turbo just has Ford on the airboxAirBox instead of ATS.

incorrect.

there are differences inbetween the ATS vs the one used by Ford. -093 specific.
the stock ford exhaust housing has a v-band clamp to the down pipe.

an ATS, has a slip fit down pipe.
as far as internal dimensions, i am unclear and others will chime in.

i am uncertain if the different exhaust housings interchange.

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the stock outlet housing is 2.25in is the ats just right to a 3in? how do you make the turbo in the factory trucks sing? they sound sooo good with the turbo whistling lol

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will add..
The aftermarket exaughst 90 does not have the reatriction built in( word has it this was to knock down the output so the idi would not encroach upon the powerstroke's hp #'s as the stroke was already in planning stage)
Dunno, russ can make her sing.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Send it to russ before you install it, he can do a few mods to give ya more boost at lower RPMs, and give it a fresh rebuild while he is at it. Then get R&Ds (idiperformance) exhaust elbow upgrade to help open up that factory elbow\

That is what im gonna do once I get more cash flow.

Also If I was you, and had extra money to blow, I would get all the exhaust system coated to help keep the heat in, and spool that turbo quicker.

outtowinpahc

Reaction score
I recently ran mine down the road for a test run after repair with no airbox or filter and she was whistling good. The issue is the airbox IMO. I work at a high end performance shop so were going to be making a fabricated intake out of 3.5 pipe stepped to 4 inch.

Second issue is forsure the turbo elbow and exhaust. Downpipe kink is a joke. However for not much R&D aka idiperformance has a modified elbow with a 3 inch v band discharge and downpipe. which lines up with diamond eye PSD exhaust. This is what I am going to do, but with a modified factory turbo (billet wheel upgrade)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can tig weld, make your own 3" exhaust housing ;Sweet

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I may not be much help but my buddy has a factory turbo Idi and we installed a banks down pipe he bought from summit racing(I'll get the part number and post it) but he noticed a lot more power and whistle.all we did was undo the band clamp and take the old one off and slid the new one on.perfect fit no modding the firewall or anything. It's worth it in my opinion it's like 100 bucks I think maybe not even that much.so I'd say that and a ww2 would whistle and gain a lot more power

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the banks downpipe is the biggest upgrade to do on a stock outlet. The mod Justin does does help but if a guys on a budget just getting the ***** pipe off there is a great gain.
Internally both of those turbos are the same, till I get done with them. LOL Turbine housing on ATS was a little larger for more volume but the ar is the same

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ knows it all bout the ATS turbos. Glad he was able to chime in on this. He was fortuniate to be able to buy up all the ATS spare parts before they scrapped them...:eek::thumbsup:

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a full diamond eye 5" exhaust with a 3" downpipe so im just gonna cut it to fit. and i have a 6.9 i pulled for this 7.3 and maybe one day after college ill rebuild it and do everything to it and find something cool to put it in... one dayLOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.