ATS Turbo Questions

67-7THREE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi, im doing a 7.3l idi non turbo swap into a 67 f100 (build thread coming soon) and i recently picked up a complete turbo kit from the junkyard. picked it up for $200 along with a isspro egt gauge, but anyways, it appears to be a 088 kit?

i tried to pull everything off that i needed, but i wanna make sure.

i got: crossover pipe, y pipe, down pipe, turbo, oil feed line, air box, cdr, intake tubing, turbo mount where the cdr use to be, snail hat and the cdr hose that went to the valve cover, but it broke.. and also grabbed all nuts, bolts and downpipe bracket

anything im missing?

and where can i get a new cdr hose?

i read i have to punch a hole in intake gasket/pan where the cdr use to be for oil drain? and is there a grommet that i need that goes there?

anything else i should know?

thanks!

also, i have A code injectors, are B code any better? thats what was on the motor with the ATS kit.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, welcome aboard ;Sweet

hi, im doing a 7.3l idi non turbo swap into a 67 f100 (build thread coming soon) and i recently picked up a complete turbo kit from the junkyard. picked it up for $200 along with a isspro egt gauge, but anyways, it appears to be a 088 kit?

i tried to pull everything off that i needed, but i wanna make sure.

i got: crossover pipe, y pipe, down pipe, turbo, oil feed line, air box, cdr, intake tubing, turbo mount where the cdr use to be, snail hat and the cdr hose that went to the valve cover, but it broke.. and also grabbed all nuts, bolts and downpipe bracket

anything im missing?

and where can i get a new cdr hose?
Here's some information I got my hands on for the 088 kit; hopefully it'll help.

http://dieselwarden.net/temp/ATS/diagram.jpg

http://dieselwarden.net/temp/ATS/partslist.jpg

http://dieselwarden.net/temp/ATS/instructions.jpg

I'm providing them as links instead of embedding the images because they're quite large.

Based on that, it sounds like you got all the big stuff. As to replacement parts...it's been the experience of most on the board that ATS is going out of their way to NOT support their older systems, so you may have to get creative. I ditched the CDR valve and went with a road-draft tube, but I would understand if you don't want to go that route.

i read i have to punch a hole in intake gasket/pan where the cdr use to be for oil drain? and is there a grommet that i need that goes there?

anything else i should know?
You're correct, you'll need to take an awl or something and punch a bunch of holes. Basically, when you take the CDR valve off of its original location, you'll see a hole in the valley pan...that goes to a baffle. The baffle is where you need to punch as many holes as you can...if you don't, the oil won't drain quickly enough and you'll have a leak. Yes, you'll need a grommet that needs to go in there, but on the 088, you can get a grommet for the CDR valve and you'll be good (later ATS turbos require a special grommet that people have had to get creative with making work, since ATS no longer manufactures/sells the grommet). Also, just FYI, the slip-fittings going from the Y-pipe into the turbo, and from the turbo into the downpipe, are a bear to get sealed up. If you were by chance able to remove the turbo without disturbing those fittings, and if you can install it on your engine without disturbing those fittings, life is going to be much more pleasant for you.

also, i have A code injectors, are B code any better? thats what was on the motor with the ATS kit.
A-code injectors should have only ever been present on a 6.9l A engine, which was only built in '83 and early '84. I'm hoping that those A injectors are rebuilds...really, as long as all of the injectors are the same code, it doesn't matter what code they are. With that said, you'll be way ahead if you get a set of new and matched injectors. Russ (typ4 on here) has been matching injector sets for people, and you might also talk to Mel (agnem on here). For that matter, how old is your injector pump? The fuel systems on these engines have a lifespan...generally, once they've gone over 100K miles, you want to start thinking about renewing your fuel system. Especially since you're working on a rather unique swap (PLEASE take pictures as you go through this!), may as well get that taken care of now, right? Reading the "Fuel Injection Service" article in the Tech Articles section would be very beneficial.

Again, welcome aboard ;Sweet

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard to the best IDI place around.

So sounds like a good build.

Yup sounds like you got most of what you need. ATS likely does not have that hose anymore so you can make one up. Did you get the valve cover with the gromet for that CDR relocation?

I saw the build thread nice work so far.

Take some time and look around the FAQ and tech article sections, then the Hall Of Shame so you don't spend money unwisely!

There is help here with parts from Mel whom owns Conestoga Diesel and Typ4 who has a nice cam and does some nice mod work to the ATS turbos and does some injectors and such too.

Keep the pics comeing

Al

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post Tim!

67-7THREE, that sounds like a really nice project truck man. I'm looking forward to the build thread. Lots of pictures please.LOL

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never mind on my last sentence. I found the build thread pretty quick. LOL

It looks great man.

Heath

67-7THREE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, welcome aboard ;Sweet

Here's some information I got my hands on for the 088 kit; hopefully it'll help.

http://dieselwarden.net/temp/ATS/diagram.jpg

http://dieselwarden.net/temp/ATS/partslist.jpg

http://dieselwarden.net/temp/ATS/instructions.jpg

I'm providing them as links instead of embedding the images because they're quite large.

Based on that, it sounds like you got all the big stuff. As to replacement parts...it's been the experience of most on the board that ATS is going out of their way to NOT support their older systems, so you may have to get creative. I ditched the CDR valve and went with a road-draft tube, but I would understand if you don't want to go that route.

You're correct, you'll need to take an awl or something and punch a bunch of holes. Basically, when you take the CDR valve off of its original location, you'll see a hole in the valley pan...that goes to a baffle. The baffle is where you need to punch as many holes as you can...if you don't, the oil won't drain quickly enough and you'll have a leak. Yes, you'll need a grommet that needs to go in there, but on the 088, you can get a grommet for the CDR valve and you'll be good (later ATS turbos require a special grommet that people have had to get creative with making work, since ATS no longer manufactures/sells the grommet). Also, just FYI, the slip-fittings going from the Y-pipe into the turbo, and from the turbo into the downpipe, are a bear to get sealed up. If you were by chance able to remove the turbo without disturbing those fittings, and if you can install it on your engine without disturbing those fittings, life is going to be much more pleasant for you.

A-code injectors should have only ever been present on a 6.9l A engine, which was only built in '93 and early '84. I'm hoping that those A injectors are rebuilds...really, as long as all of the injectors are the same code, it doesn't matter what code they are. With that said, you'll be way ahead if you get a set of new and matched injectors. Russ (typ4 on here) has been matching injector sets for people, and you might also talk to Mel (agnem on here). For that matter, how old is your injector pump? The fuel systems on these engines have a lifespan...generally, once they've gone over 100K miles, you want to start thinking about renewing your fuel system. Especially since you're working on a rather unique swap (PLEASE take pictures as you go through this!), may as well get that taken care of now, right? Reading the "Fuel Injection Service" article in the Tech Articles section would be very beneficial.

Again, welcome aboard ;Sweet

thanks for the welcome! and thanks for the great response!

i will try to fix or make a new CDR hose.

and i guy i picked the motor up from swapped the 7.3 into the older 6.9 truck cause it didnt run, and he probably switched the injectors. all are A's and works great. just wondering if B's are any bigger. and not sure how old pump is, it was switched out as well, works great and motor was just pulled cause the truck rolled. still ran and drove home.

but thanks alot for the help!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its running on a's run them till they go bad, there isnt much difference in stock injectors as far as "bigger" or smaller. they are just a valve. I have rebuild parts for that turbo and have been getting so many calls for that grommet that I am trying to find a cherry one to copy. The cdr hose to vc is a pain, use pcv grommets and some copper plumbing fittings.

67-7THREE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its running on a's run them till they go bad, there isnt much difference in stock injectors as far as "bigger" or smaller. they are just a valve. I have rebuild parts for that turbo and have been getting so many calls for that grommet that I am trying to find a cherry one to copy. The cdr hose to vc is a pain, use pcv grommets and some copper plumbing fittings.

ok thanks ill do just that.

and i went back to the junkyard today to get the grommet but it didnt have one? just some silicone. how bad is it to run that?

and good idea on the cdr hose, i will try the copper fix. thanks!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have all the ats IDI parts that were left and its all 093 parts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What typ4 Rus posted is true. He worked some magic and got all the stuff they had left from the run of that turbo. See russ for parts and rebuilds now.:angel::thumbsup:

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all the ats IDI parts that were left and its all 093 parts.

Russ is this cherry grommet your looking for as I understand the one in the valley pan the turbo pedestal / drain sits in ? Is the 088 different than 093? Reason I ask is since I'm starting to acquire alot of idi parts now since they aren't popular around here and if I come across a cherry one........... You can copy it

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
093 and 088 are NOT the same. I have a couple ideas for a one time purchase part im working on for all the drain grommets.