ATS install NO BOOST

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Well i bought a used ats kit the 093 stock ford set up. the turbo had a little play in it. i installed everything BUT the down pipe, it wont fit for anything. i cant get the two flanges compleatly paralell to put the v band clamp on it.

i hooked up a boost gauge to the intake hat and driving around up and down the street i get no boost alot of smoke and not really any turbo noise either.

where did i go wrong or what should i do.

i read it was ok to run without the down pipe is that my problem?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not run it like that for long, but it should still be able build a little boost. Any oil Leaks??

Are your up pipes completly on and bolted up?

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, how are you running with no down pipe, what have you got hooked up. How many rpms have you run it up too.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
up pipes in intake pipes all bolted up. no oil leaks. doesnt look like i should have any pressure leaks on the charge air. have oil pressure at turbo. i took the wate gate actuator off and tied the waste gate closed.

only thing not connected was the downpipe. i took it for a short trip down the street hit it at about 1800 in 3rd and heard the turbo but didnt see anything on the gauge. i know the gauge works because when i had the waste gate actuator on it would show vaccume. i reved it to 3k in N and didnt see anything either. i dont want to take it on a long trip because then it will be to hot to work on.

the down pipe the guy gave me wont fit and isnt even very close to fitting. im trying to track down some 3" flex pipe to use as a downpipe for now.

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it will build any manifold pressure in nuetral, but it should under load. If it is the factory down pipe it should work, are your cab mounts sagging or something.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
its not the factory one its one i guess the PO made. its 3" and i made room to fit it but the flanges wont line up for crap and i cant get the clamp on them to hold the down pipe to the turbo outlet.

i didnt think it would build any in N im going to take it on the street again i guess and see what i can get.

no one has any 3" flex pipe around town i might have to go 2.5 for now

i need my truck to go to work tomorrow.

sootman73

Reaction score
I have never been able to get the stock downpipe in or out unless i took the trans crossmember out and dropped the trans down. remember you have to pull a bellhousing bolt out to bolt the support bracket down. And i've never been able to do it alone. have to have some twisting and turning the thing underneath the truck and then someone catching and lining up the two flanges at the top. the nut should be an 11mm also fyi. it doesn't have to line up perfect. just get the the two flanges in the clamp and then have the guy underneath wiggle it as you tighten the clamp and it should seat just fine.

Are you sure you have the wastegate tied off in the right direction? I would try tying it the other direction just to be sure.

how much did you adjust the fuel volume? Or did you have it turned up before? What egt temps did you see on the short drive you took?

sootman73

Reaction score
three inch is even tougher to fit in and you cant do it unless you let the trans down a considerable amount. it will be pretty tight when you re-install the crossmember but just make sure that it isn't touching any wires...

is it heat wrapped? if its not you gotta wrap it. it will get way too hot on the floorboards if you dont have it wrapped...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You may need to yank it off and take it apart and see if there is a large chunk of carbon blocking the wastegate port open. Sometimes when turbos are removed and *handled* alot some chunks of carbon can find their way into places . If the wastegate is blocked open you won't be able to build any boost, or it could have been stored with weight on the wastegate rod and rusted into place.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
ok i got a 2.5 flex down pipe installed into my 4" exhaust and it will work it still has some leaks on it though. that i will fix.

i took it for a spin and can only get 2psi with egts around 950.i was in 3rd and really getting on it around 2800. i already had my fuel turned up. i will try messing with the waste gate more and see what i can do.

its not heat wrapped i will get around to it but want this thing running good first.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
i tried moving the waste gate back and fourth with the truck running to see if there was anything inside holding it up and then i tied it back shut. still have a very hard time getting 1psi.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
you can use a 3 inch pipe if you bend the cab lip real good, also your body mounts could be sagging

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is possible the hole that the WG covers is eroded or cracked.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
thanks russ i really hope that is not the issue.

im going to take it to my buddys diesel shop and see what he thinks, maybe im missing something stupid.

i can feel more power though just not much.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
he isnt around till later this week.

i have some leaks at the top of the down pipe still but other wise the exhaust is good enough. the hose that goes to the waste gate actuator doesnt seal up good so iv tried to put an o ring on that line inside the fitting and seal it off. maybe boost is leaking out of there. otherwise everything else is all tight.

if the bearings are worn would this cause the problem too? it did have some play in the shaft.