arp headstuds

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Is there a head stud install / how-to somewhere? I have done some searches but cant seem to find anything.

Basically I want to know if they can be installed with the engine in the truck?

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Is there a head stud install / how-to somewhere? I have done some searches but cant seem to find anything.

To do it right, no, not really, meaning it's not worth the hassle.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Like stated above, it has been done, but it's something that can be quite a challege to do. Also, makes me nervous to untorque and replace a head bolt with a stud one at a time. The uneven torque load on the head and the gasket is something we try to avoid by using the torque sequence when removing/replacing the heads/gaskets. Again, it's been done, but I still have my reservations about that technique.:D

It is much easier to install the studs with the engine like this:LOL
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Heath

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Thanks! I want to remove the heads completely as you have shown, to install the studs. If that cannot be done with the engine in the truck then I guess I will have to pull it. May try to do a few other things while the engine is out. :sly

Like stated above, it has been done, but it's something that can be quite a challege to do. Also, makes me nervous to untorque and replace a head bolt with a stud one at a time. The uneven torque load on the head and the gasket is something we try to avoid by using the torque sequence when removing/replacing the heads/gaskets. Again, it's been done, but I still have my reservations about that technique.:D

Heath

jnkyrdfourd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my studs are on order, my eng is out, my oil cooler is cleaned and ready for new o-rings and gaskets witch i have, head gaskets and valve cover gaskets are setting on the bench, new viton rear main seal ready for install tomorrow, and turbo kit ready for install as soon as i get my head studs !

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got mine in and it was nice to see that 1/2 stud comes with a 12 point nut that uses a 5/8 socket. Normally the 12 point nut uses a 9/16 socket. This must be due to the 125lb torque value used to pull the studs down. I sure hope I wont ever have to yank this 7.3 out again in my lifetime.

Javier

DNR0721

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to the forum and new convert to the black smoke world, but longtime shadetree mechanic!

Long story short - I inherited a Miata (I hear ya laughin') last year and though I liked the top down in the summer, I think I have more trunk space in the glove compartment of my truck!!! Anyway, when I happened upon an add in Craigslist for a straight-up trade for a 1990 F350 Crew Cab Dually, I jumped on it. Downsides were 2WD and it was a gasser. Shortly after, I happened upon a 1992 F250 XLT Lariat 7.3 IDI w/factory turbo - recently blown head gasket - PERFECT!!! So much of that truck is planned to go into the Dually.

So I have the engine out for rebuild and making some mods and learned about the head gasket problems inherent to these trucks. Also learned about the fix with the head studs and planning to install those.

Couple of questions: What is it about the studs that makes them superior to the original head bolts? The other question is if anyone can help me reach Steve about purchasing a set, I would be grateful. I left a PM, but don't know if he'll respond to a newbie with no prior posts.

Thanks everyone! I will post pics of the transformation process and look forward to showing it off at a future Rally!!!

(Any tips/tricks would be welcomed!!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online