Are there any significant differences between a 95 and 97 7.3?

Reaction score
I have a 1997 F350 donor truck I bought for the front end swap on my 95 F350. The 7.3 that is in it is complete. I want to pull that engine and get in on an engine stand and build it over time. When it is done I would like to perform a direct swap into my 95. Are there any changes I should be aware of that may prevent this swap? Will the wiring harness in my 95 plug right in and work like it is supposed to? When I go to buy parts later, can I simply buy parts for a 95 Ford? (You know how stupid some of the counter people are at parts stores.) Well, let me know if this is an easy task or if I should simply shut my truck down and use the engine that is in it.

Last edited:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Knowing what I learned from the kollage of hard knocks.....there ARE subtle differences.

One that I and Rich [94 F450SD] painfully aware of is the location of the oil pump inlet and pickup tube angle.....HPOP resivour and drain back issues were common to '95 model year but were resolved in year '96 /'97.

Being '97 was the last year of non intercooled PSD's, the majority of bugs were eliminated.

I'm sure other more informed answers will be posted but I hope this is a good start :cheers:

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
different water pump/different t-stat
the 97 CPS has the gold plating

Moderators don't shoot me for
THIS LINK . It does show the difference.

Last edited:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
no real differences, alot does depend on the build date of the 95 *** the 97, the early and late ones had some differences from the ones in between.

Reaction score
Cool. I am looking forward to this. I know there will be little issues here and there. But I am worried about big one that no one would normally think of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSpridgen

Members online