API alert!

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noted while I was in Advance that the Coastal brand oil is CI compliant. Its cheap.

paul B

tractorman86

Reaction score
i am not sure but i heard from a few people they use recycled oil, like i said not sure though. also IMHO i am a ferm believer in the old saying "you get what you pay for"

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
We all shouldn't panic too much, we have roller cams....Flat tappet cam users would need to watch this a little harder. Regular oil changes is the key regardless of the the oil brand, oil is that is thick and really dirty is a killer.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the jugs that are CJ-4 compliant will state "CJ-4, CI-4, etc., etc.

These oils are NOT the good CI-4 stuff.

The good stuff will be API-CI-4, with CI-4 first in the line of specifications, and no mention whatsoever of CJ-4.

I have used the Walmart Super Tech 15W-40 CI-4 with good results.

I prefer the John Deere oils, or Kendall, but will use the Walmart CI-4, before I would use the more recognized brands of CJ-4.

New ain't always better.;Really

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ok, so lemme get this right. the new oil is going to stick to parts worse after sitting, right?

so, why not spend the $100 and cobble up a simple preluber kit and forget about it?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
ok, so lemme get this right. the new oil is going to stick to parts worse after sitting, right?

so, why not spend the $100 and cobble up a simple preluber kit and forget about it?

For the engines that are actually prone to damage, it's not from cold starts, but from extreme extended high RPM operation, so a preluber wouldn't counter the problem. For solid lifter engines basically an extra oil rail with jets force oiling the parts prone to running dry from the traditional splash lubrication that they would normally get would take care of the problem.

All of this is moot for our engines.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about Lucas Oil Stabilizer? Doesn't that contain zinc? They make a zinc additive for break in, maybe it would work to just add that to the regular oil we can get anywhere?

As for Amsoil, I'm sure many disagree, but I would never buy it again. I ran it in my motorcycle and went 2500 miles on it, rather than just 1750-2000 on conventional motorcycle oil and the oil was not near as good as the conventional changed sooner, and for the price I could change my oil every 1000 miles on conventional and save money over Amsoil every 2500. The bike also did not shift as smoothly from day 1 with the Amsoil.

What about this from Lucas, looks like good stuff and we should be able to get it a Napa, Carquest etc.

Last edited: