Anyone Convert to Airbag Suspension ?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, the 7500lbs 14" bellows... Always wondered how those would work out in a pickup truck, guess there's my answer now LOL Does anyone know what pressure he's running them at?
he actually works the darn truck. I've seen a GN and a fiver hooked on it's back.
I'll ask tomorrow and post back. better yet, I'll get him to post here. :D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yeah, with rear suspension like that I bet she tows like a dream, it'd be a crying shame not to hook a trailer!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keldermann is the company, it's an ambulance setup.

We have semi-air on our front axle, basically big block leaf springs mostly to locate the axle and a pair of 7" double-convoluted air bellows to carry most of the weight. IIRC the bellows are rated at 3500lbs each, the weight they carry consists of the IDI engine, massive cow-catcher bumper, a 200lbs winch, and often a generator. Weight is enough to turn the leaf springs alone to negative arch like F250s have. But they are 1-ton leaves as the axle was still under the truck when we got it and had to be removed in field conditions. Bellows are mounted on top of the spring plates and right under the C-channels. Truck rides very well.

The rear is getting a pair of triple-convoluted bellows soon enough, again of the 7" size for its higher load capacity. 4-corner independent height control from the cab too. The none thing to watch out with the rear axle is if you make the pack too thin and you have low gears she will have a tendency to wrap under heavy throttle and load. Not a big deal, and there are easy fixes, just something to keep in mind.

i do need pics of this truk all rigged up!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8" clearance where, between the tires and the frame? That should be enough for the 2600-series 7" air bellows even (like this here kit: "http://www.airbagit.com/Towing-Kits-p/tow-basekit-i.htm"). If you inboad them and run them under the frame rail you can with go even wider bellows. Definitely enough space for the standard 2500-series 6" bellows most assist kits come with, did you check what other manufacturers call for?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Hey it's me lol ya the rear bags are Goodyear super cushions rated at 20k lbs each I run the whole truck on semi height control valves with dumps on all 4 corners I actally don't have bag pressure gauges yet since it's all automatically adjusted to any terrain or load

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20k each, goodness I know I like saying that overkill is underrated but you took this to a whole another level! LOL

How do you have your auto-ride control set up, would you care to draw a simple diagram? Or do I just rob the valves off the first road tractor I run into at the junkyard, and copy their setup? Also how many height control valves do you actually have, one per corner for a total of 4?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Lol its setup 100% like a semi so any diagram for those would be it. I run 1 on each corner for max stability

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put semi bags on mine with level valve. Empty it runs about 10lb with 12,000lb trailer behind it runs 20lb so imc it's a good idea to run ranchero adjustable socks because empty its can get real floaty felling.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way I have room for semi bags, but those were my first choice because they are so easy to find used.
Vertically in on top of the leaves between the tires and the frame no you don't, but what about something similar to Seth's setup with the bellows inboard of the frame rails? Then you can run a simple 2"x3" crossmember bolted to the top flange of the frame rails, that will give you at least 3" extra height you an use. Also since now you don't have the leaf packs to deal with on the bottom, that's another 2-3" gained. Looking at your picture from the first post and comparing your frame and leaves to the wheel mounting flange (for its known dimensions) you should end up with at least 10-12" vertical space without any issues. Your tailpipe will need to vacate the premises however, and the swaybar will need to be reworked somehow. Also keep in mind that not all semi bellows are the same size, IIRC those from an 8-bag (for a twin-screw anyways) KW setup are smaller than your typical monster tandems hanging behind the axle, and thus would be easier to package for you?

Here is another option that a buddy of mine told me about.......
http://www.autoflexsuspensions.com/autoflex/
Those are still plagued by the bellows size issue I mentioned earlier - it's the location they chose between the frame and the wheels that limits it, for a softer ride especially empty you want a large-diameter bellows. Now if one copies the Pete low air leaf setup, and puts the bellows down behind the axle and under the frame rails, that should allow for adequate bellows space for both diameter and height. Heck I've read about folks modifying the actual big-truck suspension for a pickup, don't recall seeing actual pics of it tho...

I put semi bags on mine with level valve. Empty it runs about 10lb with 12,000lb trailer behind it runs 20lb so imc it's a good idea to run ranchero adjustable socks because empty its can get real floaty felling.
Pictures would help tremendously here! So many ways to set up an air ride, would be nice to see what people have already done...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online