anybody ever left one of these unsupported for a while?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i have a situation where i have the engine in the truck but no transmission. i don't really care for how much the engine leans back (especially on my brand new motor mounts) but i remember doing this for quite a while on other (albeit aluminum) engines.

how bad am i going to screw this thing up if i leave it sitting on just the motor mounts without the transmission to support it?

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if letting the motor sit unsupported is good or bad but when I replaced my C6 I used a small diameter pipe that was just longer than the width of the frame. I placed the pipe on top of the front leaf springs and under the flywheel. It worked well for me, however I did not move the truck untill the job was complete. I hope this helps.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I pulled my transmission to put the LUK kit on, I just let the motor lean back on the mounts. I havent ever had a problem with the mounts since then.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There's quite a bit of flex in those things, but if youre going to be leaving it that way for a real long time, might want to take a jack and jack the engine up just enough to poke some wood blocks under there where the engine is sagging to take the load off. No sense in just wearing mounts more than needed.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
yeah thats kind of what i was thinking. guess that means i will need to put the flywheel on and wedge something up underneath there.

thanks for the advice.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just used a 4 ft lgth. of 5/8" rerod to hold mine up. The weight might start distorting the rubber if hanging to long, or could possible tear it loose.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i ended up using an old crossmember i had... used some welding clamps to clamp it to the frame rail so there is no unruly movement

the packrat club: membership has its privileges

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Come to think of it, when I had mine apart for a long time, I set a board under it and rigged a ratchet strap around the frame and under the board and cinched it up. I had to send mine off to the body shop that way, I had the tranny out and was rigging the mounts on my brownie but my insurance company wanted me to get my truck in right away or they weren't going to pay for something so I had to tie it off. and send it in on a hook and it stayed that way for a few weeks

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
when i had the C6 out i left a ratchet strap tied around the water neck going down to the frame rail. that worked okay but it was obviously rigged and unsafe and probably not that great for the bolts, holes, or water neck. i used to just shrug that kind of thing off UNTIL my damn engine stand broke with the engine on it. now im extra super careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online