Any possible way to rig a blowoff valve on an idi?

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And no I do not mean waste gate. I'm just curious to see if it's possible(I know not practical). On gas engines they work because of the throttle plate and vaccine changes, we do not have any of that, but there is a kit to hook up a blow off valve to diesels that uses a pressure sensor and micro switch that monitors tps voltage I believe, so theoretically someone with a turbo'd idi with an e40d could use one, but that doesn't help me with a 4 speed (not to mention that kit costs 650 dollars). Just curious if I could rig one up cheaply. And yes the only reason I want one is because of the cool sound haha.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope they comment, I did as much searching as I can and found nothing

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did a little more research and they also make a kit for standard trans 12v trucks that uses a switch on the throttle itself, so every time you let off the throttle completely the blow-off valve will open, I assume you could rig this on to one of our trucks, but for 650 bucks it's not worth it in my opinion

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure someone here running a hx35 has one.
Your not thinking of Hyde with the HY and external waste-gate are you?

You can find mechanical ones on CL in the ricer adds all day long $50-100 and up just depends on brand/model if you want a one cheaper.
And the main reason I found for having a bov is to keep from barking the turbo.~mainly read that about the variable geo turbo's.

bleedblueoval

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on it. We run a vacuum pump on the idi's. Why don't you run a line from the vacuum manifold up to one of these http://www.1stopretroshop.com/pneum...alves/lot-2-pneumatic-push-button-switchs.htm mounted so when the throttle is released it is pressing on the switch? The other end of the line is run to a cheapo bov like this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYPE-RS-STY...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af3e92b6d&vxp=mtr The only thing left is to decide how to bleed the vacuum off once the throttle is engaged again.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be turbo'd when I put the bov on , I'm hoping to have the turbo in within a few weeks. And thanks that sounds like it could work, I'm going to look into it and see if I can make it work without it being too complicated. I don't want this to bee too much of a project haha

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked up different pneumatic switches and found that a normally closed, 3 way control valve should be perfect, it basically will allow vacuumed to the bov when switched like the switch in that link, but when inactivated, the switch opens an exhaust port to the output side. So it will bring the line back to atmospheric pressure and close the bov back off. Looks like I'm getting a bov

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
how much boost do you plan on running?

From a quick search in the 6.4 forums, seems like unless you are spraying, running a big single, or running big compunds, a BOV isn't REALLY needed. If you are going to do this just for the sound, i think you will be dissapointed...i know gasser vs diesel is different, but guy at work has BOV on his grand nat. and he can let out in boost and it is really not loud at all....now throw in all the diesel noise......

http://www.jgsturbo.com/wgpg.html

looks like you will need to grab drive pressure and boost pressure.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That kit is still too expensive for me, but is a whole different way to run it, a gasser bov opens from vacume created when the throttle plate closes in the intake, I am going to use vacume just like the gasser, but because we don't have a throttle plate, or vacume in the intake, I'm going to source the vacume from the vacume pump, controlled by a valve hooked to the throttle. And I'm also just going for the cool factor, it apparently hasn't been done so I can say I'm probably the first, but with my homemade turbo kit and an h1c turbo I'm guessing I'll be in the 18-20 psi range

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the only point is to make a cool noise don't worry about any of the fancy controls, just hook it up to a pushbutton valve in the cab.

Or better yet just get a tape player and some speakers..... :confused:

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah I like to do things the right way, no half-assing here. It shouldn't be too much harder to hook the switch to the throttle than the dash anyway. I'm going to buy a cheapo bov first and see if it works first. If everything checks out I'll buy a decent bov. That way if it doesn't work I only wasted 50 bucks haha. Btw how much boost are you making with an hx35? And what pump are you running? I'm trying to get an idea of what boost numbers I'll get