Any one running the ATS 088 turbocharger kit?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the SS magnaflow on over the weekend. The sound was great strait piped and I miss it already, but I use my truck for up to 4 hours at a time on a weekly 200 mile highway trip. In overdrive you can't really hear the engine, but towing in 3rd gear could cause headaches and fatigue on those long runs so I had to muffle it. Hope it makes a differnece.

On the flip side the turbo is more audible from inside the cab. I couldn't really hear it with the windows down at 70 MPH anyway. But I do miss the feeling of the ground shaking when some one else drove up in it. My dad was driving it a bit lately when I was working on his GMC diesel.

You don't hear a strait piped 6.9 coming, you feel it in the ground;Really

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I put the SS magnaflow on over the weekend. The sound was great strait piped and I miss it already, but I use my truck for up to 4 hours at a time on a weekly 200 mile highway trip. In overdrive you can't really hear the engine, but towing in 3rd gear could cause headaches and fatigue on those long runs so I had to muffle it. Hope it makes a differnece.

On the flip side the turbo is more audible from inside the cab. I couldn't really hear it with the windows down at 70 MPH anyway. But I do miss the feeling of the ground shaking when some one else drove up in it. My dad was driving it a bit lately when I was working on his GMC diesel.

You don't hear a strait piped 6.9 coming, you feel it in the ground;Really

To each is own...I couldnt live without the sound of my truck :D . The best thing to do with my truck I only had an oppurtunity once. I was towing a boat to the coast and back. Anyways, there were some good 1-2 mile long grades...nothing really to brag about, but grades. I would top the crest, and before going down, I would downshift into 3rd gear doing 60mph. It would hold the speed, and let me tell ya, it is the best sound I've ever heard. Made my ears start ringing after a while...thats awsome...I did have my windows down though. Or its real awsome when you do that and pass someone, the echo off there vehicle is so fricking loud LOL.

Hardly anybody drives my truck....last time someone did was my mom back in winter. We had 2 feet of snow, and I was plowing snow by our shops, and my truck was the only thing that was able to make it out of the driveway. She had to go do something, I dont remember what it was. Anyways I remember getting off the tractor (used to plow snow ;Sweet), and I thought I heard a fricking dump truck or something coming up the driveway...nope, just my truck kinda idling along in 1st gear ;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine would do that crackle on engine breaking too. Also a bit on really hard acceleration higher up in the powerband. Only thing I really didn't like about it was that it would drown out the sound of the turbo completely above 1500 RPM. Looking at one of your videos, it seems you don't have that problem with your turbo kit. I might have left the muffler off if I could have heard the turbocharger more often.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah mine would do that crackle on engine breaking too. Also a bit on really hard acceleration higher up in the powerband. Only thing I really didn't like about it was that it would drown out the sound of the turbo completely above 1500 RPM. Looking at one of your videos, it seems you don't have that problem with your turbo kit. I might have left the muffler off if I could have heard the turbocharger more often.

Yeah, mine does the cackle thing up top to...I like it ;Sweet

Yeah, anything above 1500rpm's, if I go more than 2/3 throttle, it cancles the sound of the turbo. Just cruising around at 60mph I can hear it though.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Sean you think the ATS square airbox is junk? What would you replace it with? Mine at least used to leak I rebent the hooks and I added some weather stripping to the box. Hopefully that seals it better because I was getting some silicon(dirt) in my last oil sample. Also my exhaust is far from free flowing its 3" but has a few points with sharp non mandrel bends. That's fixing to change though. I'd be real happy with a couple more pounds of boost. If I get it great if not its still awesome.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Im going to be using some ricer intercooler piping for my intake, and then Im going to put a Fleetguard paper cone filter on the end of it. Cant get much more free flowing than a 3" tubular intake pipe with a cone filter on the end.
The leaking was the main reason I decided I was going to ditch the stock ATS box, second was the fact that you cant get the seals for it anymore. Third was the only place you could get the filter for it was from ATS, and it just wasnt worth all the trouble.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Aside from having a free flowing exhaust which is a must, you have to make sure the O rings between the turbo and the intake manifold are good or you are loosing boost. ATS doesn't have the things any more. I may have some new ones for there and the air box to the turbo if you need them. someone here was selling the big ones for the last position to the intake manifold if they still have any, if not, I found those at a CAT dealer, one the next size smaller is all they carry, but it works fine.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the older rectangular airbox on mine, the same as what they used on the 085 kit. I've been told this is the "6.9 style air box" and the later square one was for the 7.3:dunno . Part numbers for fram and K&N filters are cast into the inside of the lid on mine, so getting a filter wasn't a problem for me.

The O rings are getting a little old in my kit as well. They don't seem to be costing me much boost, but the oil that is nornally in the intake in the form of mist does tend to weep out of the joints over time. If I were to upgrade the turbocharger, the connection between the manifold and the swirl chamber would probably leak boost. For all I know it could be leaking some boost already. I'm using an O ring about half the normal thickness from a fuel filter that is stretched to fit for that purpose and I use some ultra black permatex sealer on it until I can find a more suitable seal (the original seal didn't come with it). I'm thinking if nothing else, I can just look for the biggest O ring I can find at my autoparts store and stack two of them. The seal from the airbox to the turbo and the turbo to the swirl chamber should also ideally be replaced as well, but for now the originals are still holding and the rubber is still soft.

Drew, thanks for that clip.

The only true 0-60 test I ever did was before the rebuild and the boost at only 6 psi max with some skidding on the start that cost me. Made it in 15 seconds (I think yours was about 10). Your test once again leads me to believe that there isn't really anything malfunctioning with my turbo kit. Since I could probably yield similar results as you with my fuel turned up a little more.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am the person that has the intake hat orings. If you want some.

I might take you up on that, but do you mind telling me the size of it? I want to try and find it locally if possible. There are a few hydraulic shops that might carry the size, though it is a long shot.

Best guess I can figure is 5.5" OD and 3/16" cross section measuring the part on the engine.

Are we allowed to talk about buying and selling stuff on the forum?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my 088 with a intercooler setup and custom intake...

Attachments

• intercooler small.jpg
    intercooler small.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 36

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reklund,

Your sig reads "upgraded exhaust housing". How did you do that on an 088 turbine housing?

Looks impressive, what are you making for boost out of that?