Any Hank Hills out there?

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
I need someone who knows their $#!7 about propane to drop me a PM, im talking like has worked professionally with propane and propane accesories (ergo hank hill reference LOL ) or knows it, its characteristics, what happens to it when you do certain things to it, etc. i have a few ideas about how to create a combined atomized water/propane injection system for our engines based on liquid propane expansion and the resulting condensation of ambient moisture ("white fog") and need to bounce a few ideas off someone who knows more about propane than i do. i may be cookoo but if this works...... :Sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. All I know about propane is that it is heavier than air (it sinks, and fills the lowest spots first, hence bad for your basement if your propane furnace leaks), and that it goes boom when you ignite it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Maybe you want to post this on the lounge, lots of people with great knowledge there.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you have in mind but there are already a couple warning flags the first is liquid propane even the gas motors that run on propane do not burn liquid only vapor and second is to inject water and make sure its a vapor is hard enough in a preasurized envirement let alone trying to freeze water to produce a vapor I'm afraid would produce an uneven condensation making the water clump together producing droplets instead of the desired mist just a few concerns my dad works in propane so I have gleamed a little info here and there and whats really bad is that hes introduced himself as working with propane and propane accesories and he don't even know who hank hill is

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I can see a major flaw in Liquid Propane/Water/Methanol injection combo.Liquid Propane is Really Really Really cold.It would freeze the water creating snow in the intake(or worst yet sleet/hail).I can vouch for how cold it actually is.I had to fill quite a few Fork Lift tanks when I worked at Cluster Freaked Incorperated(As we called it.We made junk for Kenmore,GE,Roper,Benz,Honda,Uncle Sam) and you only filled one once without really thick gloves.Instant Frost bite when you turn off the bleeder valve.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
hmmmmm ok good points so far....i only have a few minutes here, so i dont have time for other than a quick post, but just to fill in a few blanks, im not thinking about adding liquid propane AND water, what im thinking about is the vaporization effect of the liquid propane hitting the ambient air and condensing moisture already in the air, that process will cool the air immediatly, and then the air already coming through the air filter assembly intake will push that colder condensed air into the engine along with the propane and atomized water. only thing i really havent figured out yet is what kind of noozle or whatever would i use to introduce the propane into the intake, if id need a pump and what kind, and the feasibility/safety of doing so.....thats why i need to talk to someone who is a little more familiar with the intricacies of propane.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot of old semi trucks and other equipment used propane as a cold starting aid as my 1979 IH cabover with a 290 cummins and a 10 speed did. The propane was injected after the turbo.

We used to keep pushing that button to help get the load "over the hill" and the mechanics hated us for doing that. Be carefull injecting propane into a diesel intake because they can easily run away if something goes wrong.-cuss

Twin_diesels

Twin Diesels
Reaction score
Well, I'm not going to say I'm an engineer, except maybe a degree from "Seat of the Pants University), but I think that the quantity of Propane needed to cool the air as much as you'd plan on, I think it may be more than the motor can handle w/o over speeding, or completely choking it off.

I like the idea (try to have physics do as much work for ya as possible), but not sure how much you'd need to achieve the misting you are looking for.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You might want to dig around in some of the foriegn car forums in the UK and Europe. Those folks have been playing with all kinds of interesting propane setups , that i've never heard of on this side of the pond, for years.

-----------Robert

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
that sounds great to me robert but im having a hard time finding a starting point , could you narrow the field down a little for me?

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
to try and inject enough propane to cool the air that much would seriously over fuel your motor you'd be out pickin up parts to your motor off the road plus you would be better off to inject water instead of trying to make it condense with an injection system you would have a nice fine even mist sprayed into the air stream with condensation theres nothing even about it it would gather on the sides of the intake and run into the cylinders another get out and pick up parts situation

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
yep thats the conclusion that ive come to as well....oh well thought it might be a cool trick but there is obviously a reason the big power building companies arent doing this. lesson learned..... i just love thinking about new ways to have fun with this truck......its almost another hobby at this point :Sly