Another exhaust diameter question thread...

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Yup, the issue I have is the h2o pre heating in the rad.
Everything I've read so far points to this being the next issue( egt's stay down, h2o goes up) mine rises and falls like a tach.
Wish I had the scratch for the ic you have.
I got the windowed fr. bumper.

I'm not sure what my egts run but my coolant gets alittle warm I know that

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

chickendrank

Reaction score
I have a turbo injection pump and no turbo and went from the stock 2.5" exhaust to a 3.5" straight pipe and it didn't help with keeping egts down

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm voting doesn't really help egt's. Sounds better, looks more porportionate to the truck then 3" IMO. I'd do it again on another truck but not for egt's. For that I have the CAC I mounted and getting ready to plumb. Hasn't cost that much. The all aluminum superduty cac was free from a friend ~ might as well call it traded for, cheap piping kit asked for as a gift from the wife. If I was keeping the 093 and hat I'd just have to go buy some odds and ends reducer pipes for probably less then $50 and it could be plumbed. It doesn't have to be a large expenditure all at once. It does unfortunately take up space in the garage till your ready to hang parts.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Personally I don't believe there is any performance or EGT benefit to going larger than the turbo outlet or downpipe. Big restrictions are the log manifolds, turbo, and sharp 90* into the downpipe. If you run a muffler, changing to a straight through type or eliminating it should help. I would be surprised if anyone who has done real testing (same load, grade, speed, gear, RPM, weather... or dyno testing) and seen any difference, but I have not so I'll wait for the guys splitting a single 3" into dual 5" stacks to chime in.

Ahh but someone has done some real testing. Try and dig up Gale Banks interviews. He did a lot of testing, and talks about it. Basically, there is a point of diminishing returns. After a certain diameter, it's all bling. IIRC 4" for most stock turbo engines, and 3.5" for NA.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup read that.... also ran some dirt modified,and eliminator class cars ....in gas it matters
gale don't really like us, I asked their tech guys about it,,,, they only had one guy who really knew what an idi was about and was present during the production the rest had no idea.

i'm thinking some up sizing has a benefit' has to be so, the oem's cut every possible corner to profits.
dunno

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Iirc, I read about a guy that dynoed around the 4 to 500 range in a 7.3 psd with stock exhaust.
So 3.5 should actually be fine for most. Easier to install also.
For me, the 4 inch kit was actually cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online