Another 2wd to 4wd swap...wish me luck

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why do I need to use the '95 torque converter?

And, what is the difference with the solenoid packs?

Greg

t-roymoose

Reaction score
I haven't seen a 95 frame, but the front body mount bracket gave me the other side for the front shackle. The true 4x4 on the 88 had an indention with the mounting hole a few washers and I was up and running. I also re-enforced the hole with a good thick piece of metal. The other holes were close to the one I had to drill so I figured it would be a good Idea. Yes the pitman arm was different. The steering box was the same as the 4X4s one. I made sure that I swaped them (being able to steer is sort of important), because the other one was a bit beefier. Make sure that you attach the little bar (I can't rember the name of it at this moment) that goes from the crosmember to the axle. The bushings went out on mine and I didn't think much of it during the swap, I would hit a bump going 35-45 and get speed wobbles. That is a major pucker factor! With new bushings it was all peachy.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making progress, but I have a couple of quick questions.

The electrical connectors are definitely different between the 2wd ('95) and the 4wd ('93) transmissions.

The '93 4wd trans looks to be recently rebuilt. I read up on the solenoid pack swap, and that should be pretty straightforward, but are the accumulator and valve bodies the same? Or, do I need to swap more than the solenoid pack?

Also, I am swapping in the 3.54 gearset in the front axle and replacing the axle seals. From a previous post I made, I learned that the seals are a PITA to replace. No problem, this whole job has been a PITA. But, do I really need to use whatever seal driver is required, or is it possible to just press the seal in with a piece of pipe or the like?

Wow, this swap is WAY more work than I thought it was going to be. Not really hard, just VERY labor intensive.

So far, I have swapped in the 4wd rear springs and all associated hardware. Also have all the 2wd front suspension gone and all brackets removed. Got the first 4wd bracket installed today, the pass side spring mount..... Doesn't sound like much, but it has taken much sweat to get here...lol.....

Greg

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It's a lot of work huh?....Been there too....It takes a while but it's worth it when your done. I just hauled home 2000L of water with my F250 tonight and I'm heading out for another 2000L right now....Filling my little ones swimming pool...LOL

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck yeah it's a lot of work!

But it's not impossible, thankfully.

Reading your posts of your swap helped me make the decision to go ahead and do it. Thanks, man!

Greg

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Change the soleniod pack only. The rest of the stuff (except the accumulator body) is specific to the tranny.

It's a lot of work but it's fun.:Thumbs Up

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Greg,
This is a little off topic, but how do you like that 12 cylinder BMW? I have always loved those cars. Good luck with your swap.
John

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the BMW. It's just a fantastic car. I have a Dinan chipset in it, and swapped in a 3.15 limited slip diff in place of the stock 2.65 open. I also put in a set of Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks. It corners pretty good for a 4000 lbs touring car!

It has been trouble free, too. The car has a tic over 140,000 miles on it, and with routine maintenance the car has never let me down.

You don't see many of these around. As a matter of fact, my car is one of 19 6-speed equipped cars with this color combination in 1992. A total of 212 6-speeds were imported for the whole model year.

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Makes a big difference when you see the truck sitting up nice and high in the air. Mine went up 7" in the front and 4" in the rear over the 2wd setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online