"And there arose such a clatter!"

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No - this isn't an addendum to Al's IDI version of "Twas the night before Christmas".LOL I drove the truck to work and back on Monday and everything was fine. Tuesday morning at start up it was fine. When I took off down the driveway, I gave it quite a bit of throttle and suddenly it started to clatter pretty loud - hard to describe the sound but kind of like a Powerstroke or like the sound when air is getting in the lines - just a really loud clatter when i would step on the throttle. It was like this all the way in to work - step on the throttle and loud clatter but otherwise running fine and not missing. It was dark both on the way in to work and home so i couldn't see smoke looking in the mirror. Now, this morning when I started the truck, it clattered for a few seconds and then, miraculously quieted down to normal and has been fine ever since. Don't ya just love problems that go away before you can even diagnose them? I should mention this clattering was happening with engine cold and fully warmed up. My thought was maybe the advance solenoid inside the IP was stuck on, but that clatter I heard does not happen normally when the truck is cold and the advance is on. Sticky injector maybe? But it wasn't missing or idleing roughly. It sounds to me like a fuel or injection related clatter - definately not a motor knock or lifter tap. I don't know and I wish I had a recording of it for you guys to hear it. Anybody want to through out some WAG's?? Thanks! Todd

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
WAG #1) Was it a regular sound, did it ever change while driving? Perhaps you have a little bit of intermittent air intrusion.

WAG #2) Does the advance arm on the side of the pump have free range of motion? Could something have gotten caught up on it and jammed it?

Personally at this point, I would do the ATF in the filter trick, let it sit... Then wait to see if it comes back, maybe it was just the moon holding water that day.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the WAG's, Wyreth. The sound was consistant - it was always there but quieter when coasting or at idle and really clattering when I got on the throttle. I will check the advance arm and sure nothing is hindering its movement. Just last week I put on my new fuel filter getting ready for wnter, and I filled it with DieselKleen, fired the truck up and ran it a couple of minutes and then shut it off and let it sit over night. Maybe I "cleaned" something loose and it eventually got stuck. Anyway, she is fine now, but who know when or if it will come back.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a stuck advance piston. Start saving up for a new pump. Advance piston problems are one of the more common things that lead a pump to my door.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread Semi-Hijack...

Mel, Since its a more common failure, what causes those pistons to stick? Is it simply wear/age, or fuel related gunk buildup?

I'd love to get a new Baby Moose, but I'm satisfied with stock, and I'd like to keep what I've got going as long as possible. :D

/Hijack

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No - this isn't an addendum to Al's IDI version of "Twas the night before Christmas".LOL
Todd,

Just about spit my coffee out when I saw that...

Ya sounds like what Mel said to me too...

LOL Thanks for the ha ha that was good!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a stuck advance piston. Start saving up for a new pump. Advance piston problems are one of the more common things that lead a pump to my door.

Thanks for heads up, Mel. I appreciate your reply as I know you are a very busy guy running your successful business! I know you have Baby Mooses ready to ship. Just out of curiosity though, what might the turnaround time be if I sent my pump in to you and you rebuilt it into a Baby Moose? Thanks! Todd

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7