Alternator Problem - Stuck in Panama City!

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little late but on your old alt the regulator was failing, tell tail sign is it works when cold but doesnt like working when hot.

Run the new alt, the pulley will be fine

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the vans but the pick-ups mount just like the 3G you have there. There maybe minor tweaking involved but there is I think enough adjustment to make it work.

GringoRick

Reaction score
I will head out into town to try to find a place to get some metal to make my bracket and a few screws for mounting, and hopefully get er done manana. I need to get the rig on the ship to Colombia by next Wednesday!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's a member here who goes by the Handle "Restang410" and his IDI truck is part of a off-road club based out of Panama City. They look like they work out of a repair shop, if you do some searching on youtube for the shop location, you might be able to find the place and get some help.
good luck.
here's their local forum.....http://www.4x4panama.com/foro/

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like you may need an adjuster bracket from a normal alternator style rig. Your original wire should handle the alt current easily. you also may need a different belt. goo d luck with it, should be trouble free when done

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant figure out how to do a member search for exact name. When I try to PM him, i get an error saying invalid user name...?
he prolly doesn't have his pm's turned on. if you can speak spanish, sign up for their local site. he's prolly more active here, he's very seasonal here. Mel knows him better than I do, he's bought a pump from Mel before and prolly has his contact info.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could always use google translate...rofl...and maybe post a message ??????No idea if it works like that or not....just thinking out load in print so to speak or write as the case is...

GringoRick

Reaction score
She's still not running...:rolleyes:

I built the bracket and installed a new 3G. It looks solid. ran it and NO output... I have to figure out how to wire it correctly. i ran out of daylight so will continue tomorrow.

After reading more wiring diagrams and interweb posts, I think I may need to remove the relay that the old Leese neville was wired to, which controls the AMP warning light, and just hook the grn/red wire from the 3G volt reg to the grn/red wire that comes from the cab (which goes to the relay). We shall see tomorrow.

Has anyone done the swap from a Leese Neville alt to a 3G? It seems that the wires from the Leese do different things than the wires from the 3G, and it is not a simple plug and play. I need to figure out what the orig wiring was bfore the amby mods and try to get back to that. I am thinking that the only wire that originally came from the cab to the alt was that grn/red wire. Can anyone confirm this? Or tell me how the orig alt would have been wired?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The green/red wire should be your switched power from the ignition switch. On the alternator this is the wire that needs 12 volts to tell it to start charging.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The green/red wire should be your switched power from the ignition switch. On the alternator this is the wire that needs 12 volts to tell it to start charging.

Do note that you can't put 12v directly to the Green/red wire, it has to go through either a 510 ohm resistor or a light bulb, if you put 12v right to the regulator you will cook it!

And yes just connect the green/red wires together and ignore the rest.
Also make sure you have the yellow wire from the 3G alt hooked to the starter solenoid or the alt wont work at all

3G alt
You must be registered for see images attach

Leece Neville alt

GringoRick

Reaction score
Do note that you can't put 12v directly to the Green/red wire, it has to go through either a 510 ohm resistor or a light bulb, if you put 12v right to the regulator you will cook it!

3G alt

Leece Neville alt

GOT IT WORKING!

Those images (especially the Neece Leville one is worth a million words!) That helped a bunch! Thanks.

Do you happen to have the rest of the images that are cropped out, that you could share?

After removing the old light relay, I will still have a red/grn wire and a black grnd wire from the old installation. I will just abandon the blk ground wire, but it would sure be nice to know where the red/grn wire comes from. It is shown at pin F on the Leece Neville diagram. I may be able to use it for something else later down the road...

here is what i believe to be the stock 3- wire connector coming from the cab

Cheers, Rick

Last edited:

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go, glad you figured it out.

Edit: The red/green wire is the same as the yellow wire for the 3G install, it powers the regulator AND is the voltage sense for the regulator, for this reason its best to hook it up to the starter solenoid so it will compensate for the voltage drop across the charge wire. I don't recommend hooking it up to the big bat post on the alt as you don't get the compensation for the voltage drop but it will still function just fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726