alternator conversion

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, is there a way to eliminate the external voltage regulator on my 89 idi? I'd like to use an alternator with an internal regulator. Suggestions???
Thanks, gunnie

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the original wiring harness that was in my truck prior to the small fire (before i got it and how i only paid 350$ for it) was external, i finally found a new harness and it was internal.. so i think some harnesses are internal, some are external.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 94' has an internal regulator, it also has a serpentine belt setup. I would imagine any wiring harness off of a 93 or 94 with serp belt would work???

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3G conversion is fairly easy, and it's easy to wire without using any of your factory harness if you so chose to.

I will eventually be doing a 3G conversion on the International, it has a little GM alternator on there now. I have a couple alternators I've saved off of scrapped Taurus's.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
M.L.S.C., no not a marine more of a nick i've had since i was much younger.
the 3g conversion sounds like it may be what i'm trying to do, i figure the fewer parts to break the better. the link to the diagram didn't work for me do we have a write up somewhere i could access?
thanks