Alternator charging issues

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When running my veggie system, I have the pump drawing around 10 amps, the injector line heaters drawing 16 amps, and the fuel filter wrap, which would draw 16 amps, but I can't run it at the same time as the other equipment. So I'm drawing just over 25 Amps for my veggie system, and add on that headlights, blower motor, stereo to give an idea of my power draw. That doesn't seem too high to me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Here are the values for what I am running. My veggie system now only draws electricity for the pump, heated lines, and 3 3-way solenoid valves, which should have minimal power draw. I cant even run my filter wrap heater now, just the injector line heaters are too much. I am drawing somewhere in the range of 25 to 30 amps for the pump and injector line heaters.

Places to test alternators? Any LAPS, or just specialty shops that rebuild them. Also, is there anything else that could be failing preventing the alternator from charging?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most large auto parts places (AZ, Napa, etc.) will test your alternator.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Take your truck to a shop and have them test the alternator and batteries. They will have a large load tester that can load alternator to see what the max output is and load test the batteries. Important to remember on our trucks if you want to load test the batteries, you must disconnect at least one of them or you will be trying to load test two batteries at the same time. When testing alternator I hook the amp probe from the meter to the large wire on the alternator close to alternator. Then I check output with nothing on ,then everything in the truck on. Then I will use load tester hooked to 1 battery, truck running, and I load it for a few seconds, while watching amp meter to see if alternator will put out its rated output. If your alternator is bad ,like the others said,go with 3g conversion. You can get them up to 400 amps output, but the 130-170 amp range is good for you.
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=136&catid=45&ret=catalog.php?category=45
Here are some examples. I don't know about their prices, but the 150 amp with 105 amps at idle is phenomenal. Should be more than enough for you.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a load tester for batteries. They tested really well, but I will have to go somewhere to get the alternator tested. Sounds like a 3g is in order

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed your values in the other post. 25-30 amps is not insignificant especially if the alternator is weak. I think you are on the right path. Get it tested and if it tests bad, upgrade. I picked up a reman 3G for an F-700 with V belt pulley installed for reasonable money and no core charge on ebay. I haven't installed it yet but the 429 truck motor mounting looks to be identical to the 7.3L mounting just holding it up there and eyeballing it. Pig tails for it can be had for like $10 too if you don't want to go the junkyard route.