Air in Cooling System

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. We have a lite that says ...Check engine. Its found to the passenger side of the steering colume on the lower dash to my 89 f350.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To eastsideauto, there is a light on the 93, its the engine warning indicator thats part of the plugged fuel filter and water in fuel light panel, they should all light up for bulb check when your cranking the engine, if it doesn't light up while cranking, the bulb is dead.

If it does light up, do as icanfixall said and ground the wire on the over temp switch, the light should come on then (note pre 92 the switch pegs the coolant temp gauge which causes the "ENGINE" light to come on)

To Kizer, if you fill the system up and pump the upper rad hose, do you hear a clinking / tinking sound? What your checking here is the ball bearing movement for the air bleed around the thermostat. From what you describe, it sounds as if the coolant isn't reaching the thermostat so it ends up boiling and steaming the thermostat until it opens in which the large rush of steam with coolant blows out the rad.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To eastsideauto, there is a light on the 93, its the engine warning indicator thats part of the plugged fuel filter and water in fuel light panel, they should all light up for bulb check when your cranking the engine, if it doesn't light up while cranking, the bulb is dead.

If it does light up, do as icanfixall said and ground the wire on the over temp switch, the light should come on then (note pre 92 the switch pegs the coolant temp gauge which causes the "ENGINE" light to come on)

To Kizer, if you fill the system up and pump the upper rad hose, do you hear a clinking / tinking sound? What your checking here is the ball bearing movement for the air bleed around the thermostat. From what you describe, it sounds as if the coolant isn't reaching the thermostat so it ends up boiling and steaming the thermostat until it opens in which the large rush of steam with coolant blows out the rad.

Maybe, I replaced the tstat (correct part #) when overheating began. Since then, replaced the w/p and "fan clutch mod" (search posts by me).
When I replaced the tstat, I made sure the ball was free.
Now truck runs 70 down the highway, pulling about 5k, @ around 215*.
When I squeeze the upper hose nothing "bubbles" in the reservoir.
Plugged radiator?