aftermarket gauges

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im curious trying to find out what is a good set of aftermarket gauges for my 93 7.3 IDI 5 speed N/A. not looking to spend like $100 on a single gauge if possible. what gauges do you guys recommend i am in need of a temp gauge planning on towing trailer up to idaho a few times this summer about a 900 mile trip each way. thanks again

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not sold on one particular brand over another. An auto parts store can sell you one. You could buy a really expensive one or one a little less expensive. You could also go to a place such as Summit Racing, Jeg's, Northern Auto Parts, or maybe even ebay. And you don't have to spend close to $100.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been happy with my autometer ultralite gauges. I have a boost gauge, oil pressure, temp, and voltage gauge in autometer. I also have an Isspro pyrometer that I like a lot.

Auto meters were about 50 a piece and came with all the senders you need.

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i found a few for pretty cheap but anyways were do i put the sensor at? never even looked how to set up gauges at all

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I was looking at the glowshift gauges but there is too many choice. I cant decide what ones to buy. I am leaning toward digital because I'm 50 and I'll be able to read them without my extra eyeballs. But then there are gauges that are bolth digital and have neddles. White face ,black face, tinted non tinted lenses red and blue digital. Too many choices. maybee some other will chime inn to help out

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know if I would like digital gauges in the bright daytime sun. It's hard enough trying to see a digital radio in the bright sunlight. I like the old needle gauges.

The cheap ones at the auto stores work fine. The only problem I have constantly had is the temp gauge will only last about 3 years and then they fail. These are the kind with the small metal tube with the fluid in it. The oil pressure and amp/voltmeter guages last for many years, just the temp gauge seems to go south.

I would not buy the cheaper Summit racing brand gauges. They are competitive with the auto store gauge prices, and I have a temp gauge that so far is still working, except it sticks on the lower ranges. But what I really don't like is how they goofed on the lighting at night. You cannot see the needle at night, they didn't use the proper fluorescent paint on the needles, and you cannot see them at night.

As far as location for the sending units, I used the sending unit out on the front driver's side corner of the head. I took the original one out and installed the new sending unit. This will let your original factory gauge still work, since it's located further toward the center of the engine, just your overtemp function will not work anymore.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the glowshift gauges but there is too many choice. I cant decide what ones to buy. I am leaning toward digital because I'm 50 and I'll be able to read them without my extra eyeballs. But then there are gauges that are bolth digital and have neddles. White face ,black face, tinted non tinted lenses red and blue digital. Too many choices. maybee some other will chime inn to help out

I have put glow shift gauges a couple trucks for some friends and IMHO they aren't worth the money. Even though they are cheap, but they are junk. You can't see them in the day light hardly at all, and ive seen the pyro fail multiple times before I finally replaced it with an autometer.
JM2CW

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the cheap mechanical gauges Franklin mentioned is that they are just that, cheap China-made junk. On ebay you can still find older (but new and never used) US-made gauges, they won't be white-faced with LED lighting and will look quite a bit dated, but I see them on tractors and combines all the time still chugging along after tens of years of use. That's what I run in my trucks, and yeah their backlighting sucks but it's nothing an externally mounted directional LED doesn't solve, and they are of much sturdier build than the cheap auto-part stuff. Plus in case of oil pressure gauges there is an actual NPT port on the back, which makes it ideal for running braided SS (aka turbo feed) line to it - cheap newer gauges have their port machined to accept plastic line directly, which IMO is about as dumb as it can get.

With towing you want a pyro more than a water temp gauge, even if your factory water temp gauge ain't the most accurate thing in the world (it actually is quite accurate tho, just gotta know how to read it) at least you already have it, while a pyro is not something the factory deemed necessary to install for us. That is the one gauge you wanna be spending $100 on tho, ISSPRO would be one to get if possible, another is the digital box by Auber Instruments with the built in recall and alarm features.

Digital vs. analog is a subjective decision, I like needles cause I drive a lot at night and I'm used to just glancing at the needles positions, I don't need to see exactly what number they are pointing at, if all are straight up (except pyro, speed, and tach obviously) all is good. On the other had if you have a shelf right below your roof feel free to line it up with digital Auber gauges, they'll be easy to see and read there even at daylight conditions.

Where to put the temp gauge, most go for the location Franklin described, pull the factory overtemp switch and stick the gauge sensor in its place. There are other locations as well, for instance towards the rear of the engine on top of it there is a port that was used by the glowplugs controller on the 6.9 trucks, that may be a good spot for a sensor. Actually can someone confirm for me whether coolant temps there are higher than those seen at the front of the engine? I'd like to have my overtemp switch operational again, and if it can be installed at a hotter location than factory that would be ideal as then my e-fans will kick in earlier (say 230F instead of 240F as measured at the front senors would be nice) :D

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
Someone posted a coolant flow diagram a while back that showed the factory overtemp sensor being one of the last places that coolant flows before it gets pumped into the radiator. So it should be about the warmest place in the cooling system.

As for gauges, I know guys that have run SunPro's for years without issues. So that's what I got. I haven't had mine for long, but they were cheap, look good, and do what I want them to. This thing is a work truck and I see no need for $500 worth of gauges for a $1500 truck.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so i found a few for pretty cheap but anyways were do i put the sensor at? never even looked how to set up gauges at all

Pretty hard to tell you where to put them, if you don't say what gauges you have. But here is where for various gauges.

COOLANT Temp. You'll have to drain some coolant out. It installs in the front of the block, remove the sensor, the upper one, that takes the place of the over temp idiot light. That's the engine temp switch, not the coolant temp switch.

TRANSMISSION Temp. That sensor goes in the pressure test port, location is just forward of the shift shaft on drivers side.
Oh Shi*t you have a 5 speed. Disregard.

OIL Temp. That sensor, location is drivers side, rear of engine lower ear, there is a pipe plug there.

EGT Temp. Location, drill and tap the exhaust manifold between #6 & #8 cylinders, whatever size sensor it is.

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 7.3 IDI Oil_system.jpg
    7.3 IDI Oil_system.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 7_3 IDI sensor layout (1).gif
    7_3 IDI sensor layout (1).gif
    248.4 KB · Views: 56

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a trany temp guage for my ZF, I had to buy an aftermarket cooler to get the port to install the sender in though.the cooler bolts to one of the plates on the side of the transmission.;Sweet---Rob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Isspro gauges, and that's the brand we sell at Conestoga Diesel Injection. Isspro has the only temperature compensated pyrometer in the industry, which means that your pyrometer will read the same, regardless if your cab is in the frozen artic or a scalding hot summer day. You only buy your gauges once (if you chose wisely), so why skimp? Get good high quality accurate gauges, so your not led down a bad road.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
I have had Isspro EV enhanced gauges in both manual and electric for many years. The treat me well.

gandalf

Reaction score
I've got a question about your second picture, Gary. The engine seems to be running, you've got about 4 pound of boost. BUT your oil pressure looks to be zero. Could you explain this to us?;Really