Adjusting Fuel Screw on DB2 pumps with pics

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Should feel a slight resistance making it stop. Don't go any further, or bad things happen. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never saw a reason to remove the oil filler. Just put a mirror there and cranked the engine over till I saw the allen wrench thing in there.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can bar it by hand if you have room, I use a remote starter and get it lined up that way. The screw will bottom out once you reach the maximum adjustment for fuel

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
And backing my it off it can fall out, I remove the cover, just makes it easy. No guessing. Plus most of the time the trucks I have played with the cover is seeping anyway.

As for turning it all the way in, you can snap it be careful. Also definitely not recommended on a non turbo truck, and even with a turbo you need a pyro. They get hot quick. I just replaced an engine cause the 17 year old owner cranked it all the way up. Ended up melting things down internally.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In another life I was a truck driver. After leaving the yard we would turn the fuel up. We also installed a small mirror that pointed at the stack.

Used it to watch for smoke or fire out the stack. I still do this on my idi.so far I have not burned it down

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More or less, if you aren't smoking out the exhaust, you aren't overfueling and your EGTs will stay sane.

Also, remember to back off the "torque screw" a good 1/4" if you have it, if you are cranking the fuel up. It basically limits fuel at higher RPMs, what you want more of if you have a turbo.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where this fuel limit screw that you are calling 'torque screw' located? I feel like the fuel limiting screw may be the saving grace on the pumps if you do turn them up a lot, to keep them from melting down.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where this fuel limit screw that you are calling 'torque screw' located? I feel like the fuel limiting screw may be the saving grace on the pumps if you do turn them up a lot, to keep them from melting down.
I dont think all pumps have one. I have never seen one

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
92.5 ish and newer, IIRC. It's in the back of the pump on like a 45 deg angle or some such. Couldn't tell you exactly where without looking, and I ain't doing that, too cold outside.

Someone will be along with a pic or diagram I bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online