Adding Intercooler to a IDI Banks Sidewinder

lpennock

Reaction score
I'm starting a project to add an intercooler on my 92 F250. I currently have the Banks Sidewinder turbo setup on there. I'm adding an intercooler from a 2000 Powerstroke. First problem I see with this is the top hat in the banks kit cannot be turned around as it is shaped so that it will only fit one way. So my questions

1. Does anyone have a suggestion for a new top hat to use? I was thinking the hypermax intercooler top hat might be usable.
2. The outlet of the turbo is smaller than the intercooler inlet. Would it be ok to adapt the sizes at the intercooler end? I think the smaller pipes would be easier to build.
3. I'm also thinking of adding methanol/water injection at the same time. Would it be best to put the fogging jet in the cold side pipe just before the top hat or in the top hat?

Attachments

• Banks.jpg
    Banks.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 173

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm starting a project to add an intercooler on my 92 F250. I currently have the Banks Sidewinder turbo setup on there. I'm adding an intercooler from a 2000 Powerstroke. First problem I see with this is the top hat in the banks kit cannot be turned around as it is shaped so that it will only fit one way. So my questions

1. Does anyone have a suggestion for a new top hat to use? I was thinking the hypermax intercooler top hat might be usable.

I'm pretty sure that's what Mel did.

2. The outlet of the turbo is smaller than the intercooler inlet. Would it be ok to adapt the sizes at the intercooler end? I think the smaller pipes would be easier to build.

Not sure on this, but my thinking is that the less the volume of the pipes, the less the drop in boost, but I'm not positive on that one. Russ or Mel will have an idea I'm sure.

3. I'm also thinking of adding methanol/water injection at the same time. Would it be best to put the fogging jet in the cold side pipe just before the top hat or in the top hat?

Your gonna want it as close to the intake inlet as possible so the water doesn't fall out of suspension and puddle.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this thread is old but I am planning on intercooling my banks turbo'd truck and I am gonna use a 7.3(99-04) intercooler. Any one done this before, What intake hat should I use? What kind of power did you see as a result of it? Any pics would be great! what pipe size is the best?

lpennock

Reaction score
I wound up selling my IDI and going to a CRD cummins before I could do the intercooler, however, Hypermax does have a top hat with their intercooler kit that look promising to use. Never got around to actually getting one though. Good luck.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thats encouraging.:D Anyone else ever actually complete it?

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4 i believe sells a custom hat to fit our idi's. There are a lot of intercooled idi's around.

I'm gonna be doing mine in the next month or so.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, does he make it for the sidewinder? there isn't much room between the turbo and intake manifold, post #1 shows the pressure chambers weird design.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have two new hypermax intercoolers. The intake hat will not fit my setup. I have the banks sidewinder wastegated turbo. The hat touches the cold side of the turbo housing and will need to be modified just a small amount. Then the intak discharge will need to be turned down so its a straight connection. The hat and the turbo cold side ports are differant sizes too so you will have to find an adapter somewhere. PS.... Hypermax sells the intercooler hats.... I'm not sure if it was $400.00 or $700.00 for the hat...:eek: They are kinda proud of them....:angel:

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, too much for me, My buddy has a mig welder, I wonder if I could fab one up with him so it points towards the drivers side?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can re-clock the outlet side of the turbo compressor. If you have access to a TIG and aluminum stock, the hat can be built with that.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one with a factory turbo happen to know how high that intake hat is? (ATS 093)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Guys... I have taken my injection pump off so many times I have lost count. I commonly run the pensacola pump and then switch to the moose pump. That way I will have twice as long of life in both....:eek:LOL Actually I will be sending the pensacola pump to mel because its leaking fuel out the bottom... We can't have that. I will be getting a baby moose. So I will have one of each to dyno run on. I'm always looking ahead....:sly

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that I can use a ATS intake hat on my banks. Anyone ever try that?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted a pic of the one I build a week ago, maybe a search?

Here is another pic.
I am going to build 5 more.

Attachments

• ic hat pic.JPG
    ic hat pic.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 221

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that one wont work. I got the measurements of a 093 hat and im hoping that will work. do you know what size intercooler is best? I was gonna use a 7.3 one but what about the ones on ebay?