Adding cruise control

vermoeide_zwerver

Reaction score
Has anybody added cruise control to 97 or similar 7.3 F series truck. I think someone told me one time that you could go to a salvage yard pick up the proper insert for the steering wheel and somehow rig it up. I am going to take my truck on a couple of long trips to pick up some decorative rocks for a project I am working on and am spoiled by cruise control on my other stuff. Any ideas?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its just the steering column switches (could mount those anywhere really) and the right brain for the computer. No servos or anything, because its a diesel and no throttle plate to move :D :D

Max Power

Reaction score
Isn't it a mechanical throttle though? Would the clockspring be the same with or without cruise?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max Power said:
Isn't it a mechanical throttle though? Would the clockspring be the same with or without cruise?

Are the 94-97's not fly by wire like the 99+ trucks? I mean, they use an IDM to drive the injectors, and have the same HPOP and IPR and ICP like the 99's. I thought the only major difference was the lack of an intercooler, and the singleshot injectors, and a manual fuel pump instead of an electric.

vermoeide_zwerver

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Looks a little to complicated for me to do myself and I do not think I would want to pay to have it done, guess I'll just hold the hammer down ole style. ;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Are the 94-97's not fly by wire like the 99+ trucks? I mean, they use an IDM to drive the injectors, and have the same HPOP and IPR and ICP like the 99's. I thought the only major difference was the lack of an intercooler, and the singleshot injectors, and a manual fuel pump instead of an electric.

Correct Daryl, even the 94-97's live and die by the wire. Nothing mechanical about them. And the 97 California trucks came with split shots as well. A prelude to the 99's.

Max Power

Reaction score
Cool. I thought they started drive by wire when they went to the super duties.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7