Accelerator Problem?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Been doing alot of time in the carhauler but came home tonite & headed home from the lot to find the accelerator pedal only working about half way down to the floor. From halfway to the floor it's dead. It did come back to life as the truck warmed up. Second time it's done this since it's been a bit colder up here. First time I though it was the chip acting up, but this time I changed settings on the chip which didn't improve the pedal response.

I remember reading about a sensor that goes bad down there. Does this sound like the same thing?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've sumized that accelerator pedal is a wear item. Barney replaced the one in the Moose wagon just after 100K or so. He said it got to the point "where it just wouldn't go". Appearantly you can get them at an IH dealer as well as ford. :dunno

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man you just can't get a break.

I think this is what you are looking for Pedal assembly

You need the 2nd one down the page if you have the fixed pedal or the 3rd one down the page if you have the optional adjustable pedals...... You don't want the first one, it's for '99 - 2000 models.

One thing I do if I have to get stuff from the stealership.... is write down the PowerstrokeShop prices and then make the dealer match them:D

They hate it when they find out that I already knew what the MSRP & discount prices are..... and I always tell them AFTER they try to gouge me with an inflated quote.:rotflmao :rotflmao

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. How do I tell for sure if this is the problem. Mileage is 155,900, so if Mel's theory is true, I'm due I guess. Don't have the money to just throw parts at it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the guys who have been around for a while, the banter between the three of you on this thread has proven that hell can freeze over. Two pretty active IDI guys(at one time not so long ago) and Mel(of all people) talking choker tech..........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
the darkness that surrounds us is slowly closing in....-cuss-cuss-cuss

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
LOL LOL It is kinda strange now that you mention it. If it's any consilation, I have hopes of shoehorning an IDI into an early bronco someday & returning to the basement on a "visitors" pass.:D

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
must be the newer trucks, I have many OBS over 150k and no acc pedal problem.
or it could be the driving style, need to push it just a little farther:dunno

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I haven't figured out how to get it to go thru the floorboard yet. Driving style isn't the problem. That pedal sees the full range of motion

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. How do I tell for sure if this is the problem. Mileage is 155,900, so if Mel's theory is true, I'm due I guess. Don't have the money to just throw parts at it.

See if Joey can swing by with a scan tool to check it or see if it might be something else like the IPR. I can't find my Stuperduty tech manual to find out if it can be unplugged and tested with a Ohm meter right now.

quickstart

Reaction score
I'm on my fourth pedal now. The third one I bought was $43, now its up to $73 from powerstrokeshop. I only have 48000 mi on the truck.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Had a death in the family so I've been away. Not so sure the pedal is the problem now. Seem to be OK on all settings except stock on the chip. Stock acts like the pedal is dead (when the truck is cold) but now when I switch positions (again, when cold), I get more pedal from each position now. Doesn't do any of this once it's warmed up. Chassis has 157,000 on it & don't know if it's ever been changed.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
You would know better than me. Injectors have less than 9000 miles on them & were switched over from the old motor. What type of motor sensor are you thinking? I'm looking into the AutoXray EZ-scan 4000 as my next purchase. Would that scanner bring up the bad sensor if it isn't throwing a check engine light? Still considering a trip to see you, but I have to let things return to normal around here after the M-I-L's passing away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online