ac delco plugs?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When I first got my truck,I thought the whole beru thing was a bunch of hooey and stuck bosch plugs in sinceI always get at least 100k miles out of a set in european diesels....BZZZT WRONG! the blamed things didn;'t even survive a week. I ate my crow and bowed to the collective wisdom and stuck the beru plugs in, no more problems. Whatever the issue is with the current on these things, the beru plugs were designed to handle it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the collective wisdom applies to a stock glow plug system but if you're running a push button with 12V slow glows then what you're doing is pretty much different from everyone else. Only a few of us have ever used actual 12V rated plugs. The AC Delco plugs that are slow glows were in some of the early Olds diesels, people hated the long wait to start times. If you run a stock system the berus are probably tough to beat. I still have some bullet berus in my truck from when I switched it over to a solid state system in October 2004, so I tend to agree that they are very good. I remember on the other site back when I guy named Paul ran Diesel Auto Services in Canada he used to sell 12V AC Delco plugs as "Constant Duty Marine" glow plugs. No one was really sure what the application was but they were used successfully by a lot of people and were said to be very hard to burn out.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The ones we put in his seem to heat pretty slow, but i did notice they say made in usa on them:dunno i always had good luck with them

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give my two little cents. I'm currently running the a/c plugs right now with no problems. In my opinion, they are the next best thing to the Berus.

I bought a couple extra when I put them in my truck for sacrificial purposes and when they burn out, they do not seem to distrort.

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will see how long they last if they dont ill just pull them out and buy motor craft. lol another question what is the normal amount of time glow plugs should last? a year , 2? thankyou

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
will see how long they last if they dont ill just pull them out and buy motor craft. lol another question what is the normal amount of time glow plugs should last? a year , 2? thankyou

When I changed the plugs in my truck, two were still original working Beru plugs from when the truck was new. So about 19 years? LOL

Probably the only reason they weren't changed was due to the plugs being under the injector line clamps. Added difficulty detoured the original owner from putting some autolites in their place.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The original owner must have been too lazy to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet set then....to the OP, you need to keep an eye out on Ebay for some damn good prices. i sold all the sets I have otherwise I would offer you a set.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My AC's were in my truck for at least 3+ years, as I don't know when they were swapped in but they lasted 3 years for me.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had a mix of motocraft and AC plugs installed, maybe some others as well. The non-motorcraft plugs swelled, and were a ****** to get out.:mad: The motocraft plugs didn't swell (they may have not even burned out, can't remember). I suspected the root cause was that the glow plug controller was intermittently staying on too long, which got replaced along with the plugs -- problem solved. Anyway, I figure either plug is fine as long as there's no overheating. But at least in this situation, the AC plugs didn't fare as well as the motocraft plugs.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A mix of different brands is probably the worst idea you could have. They all have very slightly different resistance values and the controller/system is very intolerant of any variation.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
i just got a set of ac delco plugs in my truck, cause i got a good deal on them , what is the max heating limit for them, since i have a push button , and are they slow heating glow plugs? thankyou :sly

I guess We'll have to wait and see how good of a deal You really got. If, or when Your pulling the heads to retrieve swollen tips. Think You can do a head job for the $20-30 dollars You saved on Your AC's?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
When I first got my truck,I thought the whole beru thing was a bunch of hooey and stuck bosch plugs in sinceI always get at least 100k miles out of a set in european diesels....BZZZT WRONG! the blamed things didn;'t even survive a week. I ate my crow and bowed to the collective wisdom and stuck the beru plugs in, no more problems. Whatever the issue is with the current on these things, the beru plugs were designed to handle it.

I did the SAME thing. I got 2 sets of Bosch plugs for $50 shipped, so I thought I got a SMOKIN' deal........

.....two months later and I used all 16 Bosch plugs up. I stuck a set of Motorcraft plugs in that I got off ebay almost a year ago....and all 8 are still working just fine.

I find the truck starts better with the Motorcraft/Beru plugs in it....lights off faster in the cold stuff.

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
ok so how and where do you install the grid heater in the intake???and can you just start the motor only by that or does it still need glow plugs and also cummins only uses a grid heater in the intake and no glow plugs so it could work right for a idi

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grid heater on a Cummins is more or less only there for emissions, if I forget to plug mine in on a -30 day, first thing I do so I have more battery for cranking is unplug them, most industrial application 12v's did not have them.

As for glows, a friend of mine tried a set of AC Delco stock replacements in his 6.9, they lasted 3 starts....

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grid heater on a Cummins is more or less only there for emissions, if I forget to plug mine in on a -30 day, first thing I do so I have more battery for cranking is unplug them, most industrial application 12v's did not have them.

As for glows, a friend of mine tried a set of AC Delco stock replacements in his 6.9, they lasted 3 starts....