A hello, My first Post, Thank you's and a Question

KrudeAltrnitvs

Reaction score
Ok first let me say thank you for the wealth of knowledge on this site. This is my first time joining any forum, however i have lurked and read for years. Most problems have been answered and enough reading will usually do the trick.

So here goes,

i would not say i am advanced in my mechanical knowledge, i am however competent and capable of learning anything needed to acomplish the required task at hand, ( Clutches, axles, etc) I understand the basic principle of most mechanical concepts. However i am stumped and would like some quick advice on my issue....

6.2 Gm Goodwrench rebuild unknown mi.... Ran good ( Pulled 7k lbs up and over idaho passes getting 15mpg) Slowly have lost power in the last 10k... It was always a dog on the road (NA) but i used to be able to cruise 80mph no problem and take a pretty steep hill at 55 minimum, now it quickly slows to 25-30 on almost any incline. Ok now some info before you tell me to start tearing into it.... EGR vacuum lines disconnected, 8ps maintained pressure at inlet, NO SMOKE!! NONE!! WOT NONE!!!, -10 degrees F one glow plug cycle and INSTANT FIRE without plugging in, No cranking EVER (only 6.2 i know of), She jumps off the line to about 10mph like a rocket, No brake drag, Wheel bearings, Tranny has alwasys been good, flushed etc, T-Case works flawlessly, and no "funny sounds" Probably the quietest diesel i have ever seen....

So i assume compression is good, Possible clogged intake and intake valves? Worn IP? Severe timing offet? Bad Torque converter? Any tricks ideas steps to take first? The issue is NO SMOKE and INSTANT FIRE... i am confused. Still feels like it would pull a tree over in 4 low though....

Thanks in advance

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Its a non trubo 6.2 and doesn't smoke, something is wrong for sure. What I don't know but I'm guessing its fuel related. They have two fuel pumps. I'd check the fuel pressure at the lift pump.

KrudeAltrnitvs

Reaction score
i run a regulated 8psi, measured at the IP inlet..... Walbro FRB-5 11psi, pretty much sit @ 8psi all the time, slight dip under sudden pedal drop. I would hate to drop $300+ for an IP... But i know the burb should have many many more miles left in it!!!! Is $450 for a pump and injectors rebuild, all return lines gaskets for an install w/ 1yr warranty a fair price? Local guy wants $575 exchange!!

Last edited:

KrudeAltrnitvs

Reaction score
Well i have a KNOWN good pump i pick up tomorrow, $115....... That makes me feel a lil better, work all weekend so she'll probably get put in early next week. Since i had no other ideas given on what else to look for, i decided to go for it... If this fixes the problem i am going to try to do a DB2 rebuild on my own (local shop will test when im finished for $20) if its good they want me to come work for them!!!! Funny.... Anyway if it doesnt work, well then i need some ideas!!! I'll keep posting..

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Curious how the pump works out for you. Would love to have a diesel burb. Definately jealous.

Thad

KrudeAltrnitvs

Reaction score
OK PROBLEMS, I pulled the old pump, No problem there, marked everything, Indexed new pump pin to same position as one pulled...... Installed, pin slid right in, THE HOLE I HAD PULLED LAST BOLT FROM WILL NOT ALLOW A BOLT IN, not a screwdriver nothing..... After pulling up a pic of a ip gear i noticed there is TWO PIN HOLES.... Can i pull the timing cover without pulling water pump???? MY BOOK MIA'd and good luck finding one in the middle of nowhere WY on short notice....... What happened? Pump pulled, new one in, no screw hole???? Im tired 14hr night shifts, pissed, and about ready to burn it to the ground if i didnt love it so much...... IDEAS??

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad you weren't doing this a few years ago when I was still out there. I have plenty of manuals, specialty tools and way too many years of oil and diesel soaked hands.

My 82 Burb never had a problem out there either, which was good because I did HVAC and spent too many winter nights on call getting a page for problems at 0130 or 0200 hrs.

KrudeAltrnitvs

Reaction score
Have to love a 6.2 that will fire in -20 weather without being plugged in..Slept many a winter night in the burb (ROUGH NECK).. I have a love/HATE relationship with this state. And some experienced busted knuckles would have been nice, not to mention tools. I have been looking for a deal on a timer for these old IDI's , not cheap or plentiful... Nice pic (avatar?) Floyd is number two on my top ten list..
But back to the burb. Intake is still off, lost GP controller for some reason.. But fired her up to check for leaks, Smooth idle, no smoke, great throttle response (HAD THAT WITH THE OLD IP THOUGH) Sun went down and she doesnt fit in the "were cars really that small in 1950" garage. So i'll torque the intake down in the am and take her for a drive. If there are any 6.2l die hard out there cross your fingers for me, hopefully she will pull hills faster than 20mph now...........

KrudeAltrnitvs

Reaction score
Wow i guess my last post didnt show...... Anyway it is in, easy easy start (manual GP switch now) smooth idle NO POWER.... So i decided to check the things i assumed were good. Made it to the Fuel pressure gauge, Double checked at IP inlet with a handheld. 5-7psi @ idle, Will pull 2psi vac @ instant WOT..... So i guess my gauge and Walbro FRB-5 went south.... Any recommendations on Elec Lift Pumps???? This motor is a Goodwrench Replacement with about 100k on her, I put the last 50k or so and they have not been easy miles. However i KNOW THE MOTOR is still up for the long haul..... SO Lift pump, i pulled my regulator, my bypass and still no pressure. I need a pump that will push anything i put in the tank, (WMO, Hydraulic Fluid, VEG, Kero, Heating Oil,) Have ran blends of all except veg,(seems unnecessary when there is SO MUCH Waste oil) Supposadly the Walbro was the ticket, SO sorry for the delay, Life and Work got in the way.

And YES she would fire easilly without being plugged in, with the stock GP controller in -20o weather, and "Usually" in a whole lot colder too......

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to see you back! A buddy of mine who lives in Burns, let me know that you had some snow come through a couple of days ago. That should keep the dirt taste testing down to a minimum for a little bit, but knowing WY the snow was probably gone by noon the next day.

You know, I ran all sorts of burnables through my diesels and all I ever ran were the stock mechanical lift pumps. I'm a sucker for simplicity, the fewer electrically run parts the better in case of power failure. I experienced that on my 86 Ford a few months ago and she stopped, so I am trying to figure out a way to run a cable operated IP solenoid. Since the 6.9 in the F250 is pretty much using the same IP as the 6.2 in my Burb, I'll have a solution for both. But a lot of 6.9 owners on this forum run Holley electric lift pumps on their Fords. Check out the 6.9/7.3 IDI forums for more information.

Yeah I've slept in my Suburban tank many times too. Winter, summer, whenever... Mostly without running the vehicle since I keep a warm sleeping bag, wool blankets and my Carharts in whatever vehicle I am running at the time, during the winter. Did it yesterday in fact and I think it dropped to mid 20's yesterday morning. The Ext Cab Ford's 6.9 barked at me a little during startup since I didn't plug it in, but she started easily enough and with suspect glow plugs as well. I need to check and replace them in the Burb's 6.2 as well since I have a fresh set of replacements for both. And I KNOW the 6.2 needs to have the fresh set of 9g GPs put in that I have sitting in the glove box. I just haven't had time. She still starts well enough tho', just lumpy for a little bit until the heat levels out.

But I found that decent additives to the fill ups are cheap insurance for starting. For instance, I run Isopropyl in every tank year round to help keep things clean and aid in water removal. Right now I include an additive by Gunk to bring the lubricity up since the diesel has such low sulfur levels now and I want to push off replacing the IPs for as long as possible. And as overkill, some Power Service is being added too. It may add to the cost to every fill up, but dependability is worth a little more.

A Goodwrench with 100K on it is just the start of it's life. I even had a Goodwrench 5.7l diesel in my 81 Grand Prix that went forever until I parked the car because of how rusty it became from these salt flats they call WI roads. I swear they dust the roads during the summer too with salt the way vehicles rust here.

Anyway, I babbled enough. Glad to see you back! PM me with where you live in WY. When I was working HVAC out there I pretty much worked the state as well as most of NE and CO because I specialized in oil burning furnaces and there were a few out there yet. Combine that with my travels on the bike and I went all over. I miss WY. And would move back in a heartbeat if I didn't a have a little boy now.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I am long winded. I think it's because I actually had a good night's rest for once.

jd_boggs

Reaction score
Krude,

Read your post but there was no conclusion to "the no power" issue.
I have exactly the same problem, no power at any incline, 25-30 MPH max etc.
I replaced the injectors, fuel filters added an electric lift pump to help the old one etc. I even checked compression all are fine but one is a little low. I thought my timing chain had jumped a link but I removed the cover and was right on time. However the IP gears were OFF by 3 teeth! Thought I solved the problem. NO! Still no power. Only idea I have is to remove the valve cover and inspect the rockers see if one is bent. Maybe we could put our heads together and solve this once and for all.