A couple of quick questions

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1...The truck isn't in front of me, so I need to know what size the injector line nuts are. I'll be swappin injectors tomorrow on dad's truck, so I need to know if I need to grab any tools while I'm at work.

#2...With the wire off of the glow plug and a test light clamped to the + battery post, a good glow plug will light the test light when you touch it to the spade connector on the plug?

Thanks guys
Travis..

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any line wrenches at home, so I'll grab those. Are they the same on the pump end too? I would think so, buy you never know. I'll be swapping the pump too, is there anything that would qualify as "oddball" that I should dig up? I read Agnems injection redo article the other day. I don't recall anything too off the wall but I am open to any pointers or tidbits of info.
Travis..

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Same on both ends. Make sure you have a good quality 5/16" 12 point socket for the IP gear bolts and DON"T remove the housing. Maybe a selection of 9/16 wrenches for the 3 nuts holding the IP in.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a few 9/16 wrenches laying around and access to a welder and torch, It helped me to cut the open head off at an angle, turn it over, and weld it back up. Just making your own offset wrench instead of buying one for 20 bucks or whatever.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make damn sure you put the line clamps back on, or the lines will break from vibration. They are damn expensive to replace. 2-7/16" wrenches for them. Mark/number the lines with a piece of tape.

Torque screw is wrong in this pix.

Attachments

• DVC01380.JPG
    DVC01380.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
There is a special curved 9/16 box end wrench for the one IP nut that is impossible to get at. If you have some pre-curved ones, you may have one that will do the job. The special wrench looks as if it makes a left hand turn in the handle about 1 inch from the box end in an "L" shape (almost a "U"), so you can wrench around a corner. That is exactly what is necessary.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used a curved wrench that I had. I did have to thin down the box end to slip in between the nut and pump body. Having completed the job, I have to say I have no desire to pull the pump and injectors on one of these very often. I'll stick with herding goats LOL Monkeying with the lines attached to the pump is miserable. Anywho, done deal, no real surprises and the truck runs good.
Travis..

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I inherited a few diesel specialty wrenches from my uncle when we were both driving cars with 5.7 diesels. He gave them to me because he drove OTR and never had time to work on his own so he took his to a shop, and I was a kid wrenching on my own stuff. Those curved wrenches are SOO nice to have!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat