A couple HPOP Questions.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
It's time to start addressing some of the general health issues with the SD & one of them is the leaking HPOP. My question is this, is there something between a double pump setup & stock available for reasonable $$? I want reliable not radical. I've got Stage 1 single shots, intake & a chip so I assume I could run something with a little snot to it, but I need it to be happy towing a good deal of the time without issues

Only thing I see on the web is double pump setups which I can't afford nor do I think I have the upgrades to need a monster like that. Anyone know of a slightly improved pump over stock equipment or is stock my only option?

Next, I was reading the Chilton's manual to get an idea of how this is done & I saw where it said to replace the high pressure oil regulator if a new pump is going in. I couldn't find anything else about that in the manual. Where & what is it?

Thanks again,

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By all rights, a healthy 17° SD pump should feed a set of Stg. I's with no problems at all. Someone will probably come behind me and correct me but I think Jonathan offers a 20° single pump.

I think the thing Chilton's was referring to was the IPR valve. Its located on the left lower back side of the pump.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott,

I don't think you really need more than a good stock pump with single shot stage ones. Stage one single shot's need less oil than stock AD code split shots that originally came in your truck.

Chiltons is referring to the IPR (injector pressure regulator) valve on the back of the HPOP....IIRC they are $180 from Ford but can be rebuilt for about $20. Pretty easy to do.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jonathon = Swamps Diesel.... and yes, the SD pumps are 17°, my first gen pump is a 15° version and it hangs with Stg I's OK.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Website or phone number?

Actually what Chilton's says is replace the high pressure oil pump pressure regulator. I just typed it straight from the book. Last nite was memory typing. Is that the same as the IPR?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Website or phone number?

Actually what Chilton's says is replace the high pressure oil pump pressure regulator. I just typed it straight from the book. Last nite was memory typing. Is that the same as the IPR?

Swamp's

Yes, that's the IPR valve

Here's a pic of mine on the back of the HPOP when I changed the timing cover on my engine. It's a PITA to get to and hard to see actually on the engine.
You must be registered for see images attach

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Swamp's

Yes, that's the IPR valve

Here's a pic of mine on the back of the HPOP when I changed the timing cover on my engine. It's a PITA to get to and hard to see actually on the engine.
You must be registered for see images attach
And that (IRP) is rebuildable? Thanks for the weblink too. Cool site with lots of stuff, mostly out of my wallet size though!!LOL

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that (IRP) is rebuildable? Thanks for the weblink too. Cool site with lots of stuff, mostly out of my wallet size though!!LOL

Yes sir, rebuilt mine almost 6 months ago and no problems, it's pretty easy. Not really much that can go wrong with it it's basicly a few metal parts, a couple O-rings and an electromagnetic solenoid. Just need a clean work area and common basic hand tools, nothing fancy.

Shhhhhh don't tell anybody but I actually rebuilt mine on a cut open cardboard box laid out on the shop floor.... workbenches were crammed with tools and parts and the shop was pretty thrashed at that point with truck and tractor parts...GEO saw that mess.:angel:
Most of those goodies are way out of my empty pockets too and with what I use the truck for I simply cannot justfy it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online