97 with some serious injector/ ring issues

scooter01922

Reaction score
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue and figured i would ask before i do much else. Previous owner had installed bosch 370 injectors years ago before i got it. Hated the darned things largely as they suck for smoke at idle, i kinda like seeing cars around me at stop signs..LOL Anyway, truck started running really crappy and with excessive blowby and pulsing white smoke from the tailpipe recently so i stopped driving it. Felt like i wasn't getting much out of 1 cly, maybe more. Based on the sheer amount of carbon those injectors were making with the light loads the truck usually sees i figured i had an injector clogged and washing down a cylinder. Injectors were more caked in crud than i could ever have imagined, couldn't even see the damn injection ports on the tips of several. Poured a bit of MMO in each cyl while the injectors were out to try to help clean out some crap. New stage 1 RV injectors went in today as i want a little boost in power but nothing crazy. Got everything hooked up and bled, seems to still be running on 5. No surprise there i guess. Still getting white pulsing smoke out the tailpipe though a LOT less than before. If you remove the oil fill with it running you can feel the blowby pulse out as well, i def have a dead cly somewhere. Strangely enough the truck refuses to idle at all now, hated starting with the 370's but would idle once it lit, currently it attempts to idle at about 200 RPM and that just doesn't cut it. So, firstly, anyone have any good suggestions on how to clean out the shat thats gumming up my rings?? Thinking seafoam in the oil and run it a bit?? Secondly, why on earth would going to more sensible injectors completely kill my idle ability? Haven't checked on the modded fuel plate yet, though thats on the list as i honestly have no clue whats in there, star wheel is adjusted surprisingly far to the rear currently as well. Anything you guys got would be appreciated, certainly hoping a teardown isn't in order.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would do a compression test and see where you are and what cylinder is the problem. You can try some sea foam - it might work but I wouldn't be expecting wonders.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its that gummed up then i would worry about your rings being so bad that they scoured your bores-thus creating so much blow by that you can feel the blow by pulses from the oil cap...