'96 Mercury Cougar 3.8 head gaskets

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I just got my hands on a nice clean Cougar, but it is blowing bubbles in the radiator and steam out the tailpipe. I read a lot about the 3.8 head gasket problems but figured I'd see what you all had to say and if you had any tips to make the repair easier. 134k miles, runs good otherwise.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The only suggestion I have is check with your local dealer. I had a 94 Taurus with a 3.8 and the engines had been recalled due to the head gasket problem. I had owned the car a week (bought used) and they put an engine in it. The head gasket issue was with a change in the design to save something like 3 cents a gasket (6 cents an engine) and the gasket would perforate between an oil and coolant passage........ maybe you are luck and the one you have is under recall......

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Got the car back together with new gaskets. THe rear cylinder on the passenger side had a >1/8" void in the firing ring. Got new Felpro stuff on there now.

Now I get a CEL. I get a P1151 code. Fuel trim...pressure high or low, Dirty or defective MAF, Vacuum leak, or leaking fuel injector/pressure. Bank 2 sensor 1. Also, on the drivers side the pre-cat O2 sensor is unplugged. I cant find where it plugs in. It only has a ~12" pigtail on it.

Any ideas?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you get your print bigger, im having trouble reading it. also id check for a vacuum leak, since you had the intake off, it could have a vacuum leak. also the plastic lines for vacuum break real easy

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You need the O2 sensor hooked up before chasing your tail. Ford's are very well known for substituting values when one sensor is unhooked/failed. This is good in some ways "limp home mode" but can be a ***** when tracking a sensor problem. You may see crazy codes and then hook up the one sensor and most if not all go away. I've worked on and owned 3.8's and you can plan on head gaskets about every 60,000-80,000 miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online