'94 IDIT runs rough, low power, nearly overheating after Moose IP

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I originally ordered a 7.3 powerstroke bundle and it is too long overall and the backing rings for the O-rings are welded in the wrong spots.

I then ordered a 7.3 IDI cooler off of Ebay and it is not a direct fit either. I can probably make it work but it has the standard, non-turbo oil fin spacing of 24 fins per inch vs the Turbo 30 fin per inch.

Given the bundle length of 15", that is 90 additional fins crammed into the turbo cooler. Quite an increase in surface area.

I've thought about re-using my original cooler several times but it just seems too risky given the amount of metal that rinses out every time I flush it.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the idit oil cooler bundle is still available through Ford and IH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the PN I found for the IDI-T oil bundle. I have not seen a mention of fin count anywhere...it would be awesome if they updated all coolers to the 30 fpi.
You must be registered for see images attach

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This appears to be a direct factory replacement for the block heater.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the replacement coolers I’ve seen are the idit count.

When you say replacement coolers are you talking about aftermarket coolers or Motorcraft coolers?

The replacement I ordered from Ebay (dieselpowershop) was for a 7.3 idi but it is the lower fin count and it does not fit the headers...too long and the back up rings are welded in different spots.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received my turbo O-rings from russrepair.com.

They were shipped nicely and exactly what I needed. I originally ordered the wrong kit but Russ got me straightened out.

Thanks Russ!

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally! A piece of the puzzle comes together. The Ford IDI-T cooler bundle fits perfectly. Near as I can tell, it is an identical replacement.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In your first picture, is the IDIT cooler on top and the powerstroke cooler on the bottom?

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. They are both factory bundles for the IDI-T.
The top cooler with the rough surface is my original bundle. I tried to make a PowerStroke fit but they are too long to seat into the headers properly.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:Thumbs Up
This arrived!

I have a few questions:

Do these blue marks indicate that the engine is timed and all I need to do is set my IP gear in place with the "Y" indexed to the cam gear "Y"?

The block heater installs in the rear most freeze plug on the passenger side, correct?

How do I know if the head studs have been installed deep enough?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
:Thumbs Up
This arrived!

I have a few questions:

Do these blue marks indicate that the engine is timed and all I need to do is set my IP gear in place with the "Y" indexed to the cam gear "Y"?

The block heater installs in the rear most freeze plug on the passenger side, correct?

How do I know if the head studs have been installed deep enough?

That engine looks good even in plastic. Yes your cam and crank are in time so ,yes, all you have to do is line up the Y on your pump gear with that one the cam gear. That's the proper location for the block heater. Plus the element goes at about the 10 o'clock position. The head studs appear to be installed deep enough to me. They're MUCH deeper than the ones that I got from Justin. "Deeper" in this case means shorter overall length on the studs. Mine were installed as deep in the holes as I could get them.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps a bunch.
You're welcome. You can see why I had rocker arm clearance issues with mine. That was not a good place to save money. I bought his because they were about $100 cheaper than any listed as ARP. Nothing against Justin, but I will buy ARPs next time.