911 diesel dead in Gilmer Texas need help

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad just bought a 1991 f250 idi. Trying to drive it home to wisconsin. Itso dead along hwy 271 outside of Gilmer texas. It will run the filter dry and die. He replaced the lift pump and rubber line to the lift pump. He said if he sucks on the fuel supply line coming from the tank it done seem to be go getting fuel.

Anyone in the area able to give him a hand??

Selector valve?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Shower head broken off? Consequently out of fuel but gauge says you're not

Try running a rubber hose off the mech lift pump down to a 5 gallon can. See if it will draw fuel and run off that. If it starts, let it run a bit and charge the batteries back up!

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
what he said above, sounds like you arent getting fuel from the tanks, which could be a few things. Fuel selector switch is bad, line broken off in tank or blockage

If its the FSV, just run hose to the tank and bypass the valve.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd find some hose, if possible and bypass the selector valve. Both return and supply.

If it's the culprit it might return fuel to one tank and suck form another.

I have actually ran my truck with a 5 gallon bucket on the passenger floor board with the supply and return to it, but for that many miles to go I wouldn't recommend that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the tanks are at 1/4 level my guess the suction heads in BOTH tanks has broken off and now the last 1/4 tank of fuel can't be sucked out The suction head in now above the bottom of the tank so much that you run out at the 1/4 mark. Have him add a few gallons to either tank just to prove this problem. If it runs fine then you proven the suction is now at the 1/4 level and please.. Do not run the tanks that low untill you fix this high suction.
As I said.. This is my guess based on what you posted. Others posted that the fuel tank switching valve could be stuck too. If it is thats another good example of the suction head broken into many pieces and now its plugged up the suction lines in the valve.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once there is air in the system, its hell on the electrical to get it purged. If you have a 10mm socket, you could pull the glow plugs which will make it crank over really easy to aide in purging the air... other wise heavy jumper cables and a big truck or new batteries depending on where you are.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He got it running but only bypassed the supply line and left everything else hooked up. Oops. He just called again and it's leaking out of the fsv where the lines are off. So now he is bypassing the returns. But it's running for him

Thanks for the help everyone

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
gLAD YOUR dAD GOT IT RUNNING AND FIXING THE LEAKS WILL GET HIM BACK ON THE ROAD. nOW DETERMINING WHAT TANK YOU ARE DRAWING OFF OF IS THE NEXT DEAL. nOT KNOWING WHAT LEVEL THE TANKS ARE i SUGGEST WATCHING THE FUEL GAUGE. dRIVE SAY 50 TO 100 MILES AND WATCH OR FLIP BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN TANKS TO SEE WHAT LEVEL IS GOING DOWN. oNCE YOU KNOW WHAT TANK YOU ARE USING JUST KEEP FILLING THAT TANK AND LEAVE THE OTHER ALONE.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry for the caps.. Damn fool I have for a wife leaves the caps on all the time. Hell I got to leave the seat down.. ***... I'm really pissed now. No excuse for this chit.. She will pay big for this final mess....

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad he is moving.

What will his route be? Central AR here, keep us updated on how the trip is going.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the caps.. Damn fool I have for a wife leaves the caps on all the time. Hell I got to leave the seat down.. ***... I'm really pissed now. No excuse for this chit.. She will pay big for this final mess....

Just thought you were yelling at us Gary!

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of bypassing the return line he hooked a rubber line up to the 2 open posts on the fsv.... not sure what that will do but he said it's not leaking.