89 F350 Non Tilt Steering Column Questions

autotech84601

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding the steering column in my truck. This is in a F350 Crew Cab Lariat. The column that is in it is non-tilt. Not sure if that is stock or not. My questions are these. First, there is looseness in the column, not real bad but it is there. Is this repairable? My next question is that the turn signals are working, but the cam is inop. I ordered the turn signal cam for the non-tilt unit and pulled the wheel off to replace it. Much to my dismay, according to pictures of the turn signal switch assembly on rock auto, the turn signal switch that is installed on this non-tilt column is for the tilt column. So the cam I ordered is wrong and does not fit. Should I go ahead and replace the cam for the tilt column turn signal switch or replace the whole switch assembly with the correct one? Thanks so much for the help!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get the whole non-tilt turn signal assy. the cam itself is a waste of money.
if you are non-tilt, you "should" be able to tighten up the screws to get rid of the slop unless you have let it go too far.
good luck

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have torn apart several different columns.
and have read the pains that people have with tearing the column apart.

i dont even want to mess with them,
i would just purchase another column.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have taken apart both columns and the tilt is a pain and they have lots of parts in them. The non tilt are not too bad. My truck had a tilt and it was to warn out to fix so I replaced it with a non tilt column.