86 F350 powerstroke

wildfire_bum

Reaction score
be a bunch easier to just turbo whats there ,wouldnt it?
id just like to know how to wire the transistorized 7.3 idi style glow plug system into the 86.. as my 6.9 spun a brg ..40,ooo on a factory reman......and i found a decent 7.3 about a 1990 ..with all the wiring etc \cheaper than i could fix the 6.9..its in and runs but no power to the fenderwell starter sol. enegize wire ,or the glow plug relay energize curcuit.....it runs fine if you jumper em....frusttratinggggggg....may give up and go back to the 6.9 system......i hear IH has a conversion kit.....but all i need from that is the wiring instructions.....as the engine came with plugs harness and controller hate to spend 300+for that ..........or am i totally lost....
any help would be appreciated tx....

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just find a OBS and swap a 86 front clip and bed on? If you will end up doing a OBS interior anyways, that is easier.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Why not just find a OBS and swap a 86 front clip and bed on? If you will end up doing a OBS interior anyways, that is easier.

Because I have a totally CLEAN RUST FREE 86 body and chassis with perfect interior for 3K. How about you find me a clean rust free 4wd reg cab 5 speed PSD F350 for under 10k. I have a rotted out 95 F350 PSD 5spd PSD 4wd truck i paid 1500 for. So If I wanted a stock stroke I could do the swap for about free once I sell all me IDI stuff and what is left of the 95 truck

I was on the hunt for one in the 15k price range when I found my 86. I always liked the 80-86 body style the most anyway. It is just a shame it is a ****

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Are you making any progress on her Brad? I can imagine you are busy as hell liek I am and made about as much progress on yours as I have on my crew cab lol. I got it apart, but that's about it!!

Deib

Reaction score
Why is the gauge cluster important to the swap? How does it affect, or what portion of it affects how the engine runs?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Are you making any progress on her Brad? I can imagine you are busy as hell liek I am and made about as much progress on yours as I have on my crew cab lol. I got it apart, but that's about it!!

I have working on my wood shed, and my F550. No progress on the 86 at all. HOPEFULLY next year

Why is the gauge cluster important to the swap? How does it affect, or what portion of it affects how the engine runs?

You need the newer cluster if you want a functioning tach. And being I am putting a newer trans and t-case in, I will no longer have a gear driven spedo. I will have a electronic one, which is driven by the VSS on the rear axle

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Brad, I wonder if there is something that you can do to keep the 80-86 cluster..... i know they put the T444E in the F-800 and they run the Slantnose cluster.... up to the body change in the late 90's I think.....

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Brad, I wonder if there is something that you can do to keep the 80-86 cluster..... i know they put the T444E in the F-800 and they run the Slantnose cluster.... up to the body change in the late 90's I think.....

:confused: An international engine in something bigger than a F550? Never seen or heard of that. I always see 6.6 brazilian, 5.9, 2136,3208....... but not ANY IH engine.

Dont get me wrong. if I could do that, that would be great, but never heard of an IH engine in any ford truck bigger than a F550

perk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can keep the original tach. Just setup something as a tone ring. I had the damper on my 24v machined with small grooves to act as the tone ring and mounted the idi tach sensor on a bracket.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You can keep the original tach. Just setup something as a tone ring. I had the damper on my 24v machined with small grooves to act as the tone ring and mounted the idi tach sensor on a bracket.

But I still will need to do something about my electric spedo. It will be FAR easier to use the 94-97 cluster