85 F250 6.9 NA Issues

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you i appreciate it. The bottom of my pump is slightly wet. It should be replaced correct? I almost want to try a electric pump to see if that helps. Or does it sound like it is for sure my IP? I just don't want to drop $ on something that may not be bad.

94IDIT

Reaction score
Thank you i appreciate it. The bottom of my pump is slightly wet. It should be replaced correct? I almost want to try a electric pump to see if that helps. Or does it sound like it is for sure my IP? I just don't want to drop $ on something that may not be bad.

Wait a sec, so what your saying is your lift pump is wet on the bottom? or your IP? I just want to clarify. If it is your lift pump, then you must have a fuel leak right? If so you may just need to replace it. My truck was kinda doing something similar for awhile, but it had a pretty good leak coming from the weep hole in the lift pump. It would idle fine all day, and, when I'd purge the schrader valve it would put out a good stream of fuel, but when I would really start getting on it, it would crap out at higher rmp, and stutter and shudder and miss until I let off of the accelerator. It would even die sometimes. Sometimes I couldn't even get it to go faster than 40mph. When I replaced the lift pump, it ran great. Just something to think about before ya dump any cash on a new IP. Hope this helps, and honestly it does kinda sound like your IP may be on it's way out, but it could be just something simple like this. Good luck;Sweet

Last edited:

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom of the IP where the plunger is seems a bit moist. Would my mpg drop if the lift pump was going??

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the laramie wy area that could help me out?

94IDIT

Reaction score
The bottom of the IP where the plunger is seems a bit moist. Would my mpg drop if the lift pump was going??

I really wouldn't think so, but maybe:dunno I'm no expert. And I'm from the Black Hills area, I would come down and try and lend you a hand if I had more cash, but I'm flat broke right now unfortunately. I see though, that you listed the truck for sale again, if you are really serious about selling it, why don't you just subtract off the price of that U-haul pump from what you're asking for the truck, show potential buyers the link and let the next owner deal with it?:dunno Just a thought anyway. Hope everything works out alright for ya though bud.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i had another truck lined up and that fell through. I really do want to keep the truck.

Replaced the lift pump, that wasn't the issue. Got a line on a used injection pump off a good running truck. Well see how that goes

BTW thanks for all the input, i really appreciate it.

94IDIT

Reaction score
Not a problem buddy;Sweet That's what this site's all about. Hopefully that IP solves your problem and ya get to keep the old girl!:thumbsup:

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got ANOTHER line on a whole truck....turbo 6.9 :D

Ill let you guys know :sly

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the driver side of the Injection pump, there is the throttle shaft that pushes the lever that pushes the plunger in at the bottom of the pump. On mine, where the throttle shaft and lever meet at the roller, it looks slightly worn. When the throttle is at WOT, there is still more movement possible in the lever/plunger. Should WOT push the plunger in all the way? Is there a standard adjustment for the part that clamps on the throttle shaft?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to live in Cheyenne, until a couple of years ago. Although I did all of my own work, I did have a buddy that took his stuff to a guy in the city. I'll see if I can find his name and get back to ya.

Or I'll just move back out there and help ya myself. Staying near campus, or ????

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah right next to campus. Thanks bud!

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i messed with the throttle/lever/plunger setup and got it to where it pushes in the plunger less as throttle is applied. This made a large difference, it revs out almost all the way when i gradually get on the throttle. The issue is it seems to have developed more of a rattle/knock. I tried retarding the timing, and it did help a bit, but when i get it to where it doesn't rattle, it idles rough and blows a lot of white/blue smoke. Anything else i can do to counteract the rattle? :dunno

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about somer pics to stimulate the replys.....Oddly enough i advanced the timing(rotated the pump towards the pass. side) and the rattle seemed to be less, but the engine also ran much better....

You must be registered for see images attach

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so do you know any old 6.9 diesel mechanics atleast to give you some guidance I have one on the south side of town that works on the old international buses with 6.9's and 7.3;s

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask around at the truck-stop out by ya, can't hurt. Or the one toward Burns, I remember them having quite a few gearheads always around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online