85 BRONCO II DIES WHILE DRIVING

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 1985 Bronco II, with less than 2000 miles on a crate engine 2.8, automatic will go about twenty foot and die.

Crank it up and maybe another twenty foot.

Sometimes, it will die as soon as shifted into gear.

After it starts this, it doesn't want to start back; but, give it a minute and it will fire.

It will idle all day.

When in park, it will rev up good.

Pull it into any gear and, no matter what is done with the gas pedal, it will die.

I just spent an hour going a mile and a half.

A friend with a log-chain pulled me the last half-mile.

What is wrong with this machine??

Thanks.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
start with adding some gas? but the fuel filter would be my first shot in the dark as well!

when it does start this dying deal it'll still IDLE right?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will idle so long as it is not put in gear.

As soon as shifted in gear, it will splutter and die; sometimes it will travel twenty foot or so; sometimes it won't move out of its tracks.

I took the fuel line loose and cranked it; fuel sprayed everywhere; so, the fuel pump should be okay.

Could it be the modulator valve, or whatever it is that has something to do with the automatic??

Sometimes, it will travel along pretty good; after being towed to the house, later this evening, it started easily and I moved it about two hundred yards and it did fine.

Thanks.

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check distributor module , i had 2 85 b2 do the same thing untill i changed modules . do not use wells products they are crap

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
It does have the sound of a fuel problem to me. The best thing you can do is buy/borrow/or steal a fuel pressure gauge and verify that you have the proper fuel pressure. Re-post after that and go from there.
best of luck
Ken

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it is a 2.8 it is carburated so how about the float, float valve? Did it start this while driving or on start up. I think mine has a filter at the carb :confused: now I have to go look. I have had the modules die a couple times but it just quit completly. The modulator would just suck tranny fluid if it was bad. I am leaning toward a problem with the float valve. Do the primaries spray fuel when reving it in park? Does the engine really torque over when reving or just kind of gain speed. Does the accelerator pump spray good? Or do you have it fixed now?

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought the bronco's had a 2.9 V6 not a 2.8?? anyways back to the topic above, it sounds like a fuel problem i would start by checking the fuel pump to make sure its getting good pressure those engines are happy at about 16-30 lbs i think is what i heard... let us know.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
i thought the bronco's had a 2.9 V6 not a 2.8?? anyways back to the topic above, it sounds like a fuel problem i would start by checking the fuel pump to make sure its getting good pressure those engines are happy at about 16-30 lbs i think is what i heard... let us know.

86-90 B2 has a 2.9. the primary pump on there is rated around 90psi and the regulator tones it down to 35psi.

the 84/85 B2 has a 2.8. Fuel pressure should be 4-7psi. It sounds like a carb or fuel issue to me as well. You need to change the filter at the carb and go from there.

medwards29

Construction Project Manager
Reaction score
I had an 87 dodge dakota 3.9L v6 that did the exact same thing your ranger did. What I did was change fuel pump change fuel filter and added another fuel filter. It still did it. I turned up idle speed and tuned up the motor and it still did it. What I didn't realize was that I had recently let a lot of water into my fuel from 4x4ing through the 2008 flood. I thought my tank was water tight but obvoiusly not enough. The quickest way to solve the problem is to drop the tank and get it cleaned out. I didn't feel like dropping the tank so I ran 2 bottles of Heet (chemical that removes water from fuel and boosts octane) every fill-up until it quit. I got sick of adding gas to my carburetor ever mile or so, lol.
I think if changing fuel filter don't work the best way to go is cleaning your tank, by using the Heet, and also look into using seafoam in your fuel, that will also clean your injectors/fuel lines and remove any build up in your tank. That's what I did to my truck and I ran like a top after I got it done and I finally sold it for quite a bit so it paid off.

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
i had a bronco that did that and it was the module on the back of the distibutor