70mm turbo and propane on 6.9

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving the truck yesterday, I noticed that when I really get on it when the propane on, as soon as I push in the clutch the engine keeps revving up till I put it in another gear. I suspected it would do this, but I thought it might be interesting to somebody. I just didn't know if it supplied enough propane to make it rev on it's own.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I had a thought to fix that problem. You can find some kind of fuel pedal switch or throttle cable switch that will only inject if you are pressing the gas pedal. You would just have to fine tune the spot where it is set so it hits the switch at the time you want the propane to come on so it spools your turbo like it does now and you can still keep your hobbs switch and run it in conjunction with that switch. So basically, you would run the hobbs switch to the pedal or throttle switch then to the propane flow selinoid or whatever it goes to. It would be good insurance and would be a pretty easy install. You just would have to find the right type of switch and then you won't have to worry about it revving the engine when you are shifting cus your foot won't be on the gas pedal.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
check ziggs article, he has a switch mounted the the throttle lever on the ip...believe he called it a micro switch. I have always thought it would be cool to mount something like a variable potentiometer switch( think thats the right word we use them on machines at work) basically they have a very long throw distance and the farther you stroke them the more voltage they put out. used on a few of the cnc's for variable feed rates when trying to move it. problem is I dont know of a solenoid or regulator that will gradually increase flow as the voltage from that switch increases.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It would be adjusted for different throttle inputs. Like ou could have it set to come on a 75% or greater throttle input or only 100% input

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Like a switch for the N20. They go off of the throttle and when you hit it, it turns on the juice.

SWS

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Basically just need to take a BOO switch off a truck in the scrap yard and install it on his throttle.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
Brake On/Off switch.

Ideally though, if you don't want the propane to come on at less that say...50% throttle, it would be fairly easy to tap the voltage on the TPS (if you have one). If you don't, then a physical switch would be required... Something that mounts to the IP body would work the best, because you don't want that thing moving around on ya!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake On/Off switch.

Ideally though, if you don't want the propane to come on at less that say...50% throttle, it would be fairly easy to tap the voltage on the TPS (if you have one). If you don't, then a physical switch would be required... Something that mounts to the IP body would work the best, because you don't want that thing moving around on ya!

I agree with you. It would be less likely to need constant adjusting.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Why not use a Hobbs switch? It would seem to me you wouldn't want propane introduced until you have a lil boost built up. Adding a Hobbs switch to your pressurized intake should be a breeze

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not use a Hobbs switch? It would seem to me you wouldn't want propane introduced until you have a lil boost built up. Adding a Hobbs switch to your pressurized intake should be a breeze

He actually does have a Hobbs switch but he has it set to come on at a low boost. He likes how it spools his turbo. The problem with the setup though is that his engine kept revving in between shifts, so we were trying to think of a way to stop that by using some sort of switch off the throttle that will only turnn it on when the throttle is pressed. What do you think would be a good switch for this setup?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Oh I see.... Yea sounds like a micro switches in order. Does that powershot have a variable flow controller to spray more or less lpg?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I see.... Yea sounds like a micro switches in order. Does that powershot have a variable flow controller to spray more or less lpg?

Yep. That's what I thought too. I think it does or something along those lines. And I think it might have something to vary the propane cus I remember 429idi saying he might add a lil more but I'm not quite sure what varies it though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance