700r4 lock up

roamaround

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 1983 Chev 3/4 ton Sub 4x4. Banks turbo kit added long time ago. I am having trouble with trany. 2 problems are lock up converter and overdrive. I have adjusted tv cable numerous times. This is not the problem. There is no power going to trany at all, so no lock up. On the plug to trany( 4 prong male plug with 2 leads only in it ) there is a driver side prong and a passenger side prong all in the same plug. Does any body know for sure wich prong needs to be + or - , or both hot when and where in shifting? Is the lock up grounded internally? I have found a lead off the brake that breaks the + when depressed. But this leads to over by the AC dryer to a male plug going to nothing. The 2 leads coming off the trany do go to some sort of relay switch mounted to the steering column. I conected a hot lead to the green wire ( goes to driver side prong ) at this relay switch. Now I have lock up but when brake is applied no release of lock up. I really need help for I think a simple matter. I'll post later about overdrive. Thanks a lot. :confused: [email protected]

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
whats wrong with od? on my two burbs, one locks the tc mechanically and the other I have key on power to the lockup sol. both work fine, the tc wont unlock with brake application obviously, but the added engine braking is nice.

roamaround

Reaction score
The od works fine at temperatures under 150 degrees F ( trany temp ) anything over this temp it only stays in od with no pedel movement. Even on a downhill as soon as I back off the pedel one little hair is brings it out of od. I am trying to get tcc working properly first. What year is your oldest Sub? If your trany plug looks like mine ( 4 prong square plug 2 forward prongs used, wire closest to driver green ... wire closest to trany blue with black stripe ) I would love to find out which wire is hot with key on no engine on and what the wire closest to the trany body is, + or -. Basically I need someone to test light both wires with key on brake on and off. Which wire does what? I also found that the wires that I found going over to near the AC dryer actually went to some sort of switch on the throttle body that you could adjust ( passenger side ). My Sub dosn't have this switch and don't know what it does. I am also wondering if the transfer case has a switch in it that has gone bad that does not let tcc engage if in 4 wheel drive is in.

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
See if you can make this out.

You must be registered for see images

roamaround

Reaction score
I have this exact page in a real GM shop guide. I don't know where it tells me which wire is + or - for the light blue with black stripe and the green wire at the TCC plug on the trans. do you know if they are both hot and one breaks on breaking or one hot the other is a negative that breaks on braking, or there both hot then breaks when brake is depressed?

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
you will just have to follow the diagram from the end back to where it gets power/ ground or switches

roamaround

Reaction score
Yeah I know. I'm doing it. I was just hoping someone could shed some light on it cause the shops around here in Las Vegas Nv. just don't really know. Thanks for your feed back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726