7.3L Fuel Filter 'Housing' Replacement

Heide264

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I know the subject of the fuel heater has been beaten to death. I have also read of a few differences between the 6.9L and 7.3L filter heads (and how the 6.9s have no heater within them).

That being said, my fuel filter housing was not so fortunate to receive the drill/tap/plug routine. The previous owner has covered the top of it in a very large mass of poorly applied epoxy. I have a feeling that getting the epoxy off, despite being poorly applied, may be more work than it is worth to replace the whole housing.

Any recommendations for replacements? I believe I read that the 6.9 filter heads are the way to go, but they are hard to come by or very expensive. I wouldn't be opposed to a reasonably priced aftermarket dual filter setup, provided it isn't too much work to fight with that hardline that attaches to the filter head - I am assuming that is the supply from the lift pump. I'd also assume that would be a good opportunity to switch to an electric lift pump.

Also, as far as the filters themselves, I have not done my reading. It looks like many of the commonly available units have an integrated drain valve in them. Any suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Here is a picture... Disregard the other terrible epoxy jobs (for this thread, ha).
You must be registered for see images attach

w4dsb

Reaction score
that epoxy will knock loose with a chisel or just wait a while and it will come off on it's own Mine did!

Heide264

Full Access Member
Reaction score