7.3 with c6 questions

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another verification, my 89 f250 came with a c6.

A c6 is a "automatic" transmission. But it needs information on when to shift. It gets this information from the governor inside the tranny that measures road speed, and from the vacuum modulator(the thing with the black band) that gives it information on throttle position.

On a gas engine, those engines naturally have vacuum and it varies with throttle position and engine load. This is perfect for the vacuum modulator on the back of the tranny. But a diesel doesn't have vacuum, only a external vacuum pump driven by a belt. So Ford invented what they are calling the "VRV". It's just a variable valve hooked to the throttle shaft. They run the vacuum supply from the pump to the VRV, and then another line from the VRV to the modulator on the back of the tranny. As you move the throttle, the amount of vacuum sent to the tranny is changed, giving it info on when to shift.

Lots of vacuum(this would be the case for the line hooked up directly) means the throttle is not open very much. So the tranny's program assumes there is very little power demand from the engine, so it shifts soft and very quickly up to 3rd gear. When you open the throttle up, there will be very little vacuum going to the tranny. In this mode it assumes you are demanding power from the engine. It raises the line pressure in the tranny, giving a firmer shift and delaying the shifts to let the engine rev up and get things going. It juggles the vacuum applied to the modulator along with the road speed from the governor to make these decisions.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thy extra cable on yours is the cruise control (the one with the red end). Yes yours should have a kick down ROD. Not a cable an yours is missing the bracket of the injection pump for the kick down rod. I've been running without one for some time now but my transmission guy/ neighbor says I should put one on. I have the correct one for the hypermax turbo setup but I couldn't make it go past the turbo.

So it's kinda personal option on wether or not you want to run one.

On the VRV I feel that's personal choice also. I've set them up exactly how ford says to with a vacuum gauge and what not and was not happy how it shifted. I then played with it until it suited my driving.

Mine has two marks on it. One is for normal driving and the other I move it to for when hauling a trailer. The "trailer mode" let's it shift much later so I can run the rpms up higher.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 89 came with a C6 .... and for those of you who don't know, you could get a C6 all the way up to a 97 model. You just have to order it...

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
90 was the last year for C6 if I remember right.
Yes sounds like the VRV also check you lines the old 86 we used to have had little nick in the vacuum line(the one from back of transmission) basically causing funky shifts and no shifts at all. Just something to check.

Edit:

Yeah I want a Emerald Green 97 PSD long bed
xlt lariat oh yeah and C6. LOL

paulzx

Reaction score
my truck when I bought it it shifter really hard, lived with it for about a year, then decided to buy a new vrv vavle, and the truck shifted just like a Cadillac. I tried to adjust it to each extreme and there was no change, so I just decided to change it.. problem solved

paulzx

Reaction score
your pics should look like mine, that is the vrv to the right, with the 2 vacuum lines attached. the second pic shows it from the side with the adjustment. you might be better off scouring the junk yard for a vrv and the parts for it to make it work, you might luck out with a good one. if my memory serves me correct when I bought that one new from ford, they didn't give it away, I don't even know if you can still buy them new... maybe aftermarket or trans shop might have them too.

Attachments

• DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00010.JPG
    DSC00010.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 13

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too late to go out there tonight. But I don't remember seeing cruise control in the truck. I'll go have a look tomorrow.

Looks like I'll be scheduling a trip to the junkyard sometime in the near future.

And no turbo on mine, so if I can find the rod and all the other hardware for it I'll probably get that set up as well.

Ok, wait, I have a pic that I took yesterday.

Is that 'cruise control' in the upper right? If so, then it's the black cable at the throttle that is cruise control, not the red one. In either case, no throttle kick-down...

Attachments

• DSCN2348a.JPG
    DSCN2348a.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 33

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. That's a cruise module.

You don't happen to have an overdrive off switch somewhere down on the dash(your year model) to the right of the steering column I think? Just curious. I don't see the wiring in any of your pictures for the e4od controls on the pump either.

Wonder if you have the transmission code on the door sticker?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be sfrapping a truck with c6 in while dont know but it would have every5hing but vrv.

That I have and installed it on my truck.....just sayin

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The day got away from me, so I didn't get anything looked at on the truck today. I'll look, tomorrow for a door sticker, and other info.

Riot, how much would you want for the rod and all hardware for the kickdown? I don't have turbo, so I would think the standard rod and hardware could be re-engineered to work here...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly no idea....fella been talkin bout scrappin a truck for while his call not mine.

Made one BIG VRV adjustment...seemed shift better...made small adjustment...slightly better...time to mark it n start fine tuning...but wait...ZF swap soon

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. That's a cruise module.

You don't happen to have an overdrive off switch somewhere down on the dash(your year model) to the right of the steering column I think? Just curious. I don't see the wiring in any of your pictures for the e4od controls on the pump either.

Wonder if you have the transmission code on the door sticker?

It is a cruise module. But there is nothing inside the cab of the truck that has to do with cruise control. No controls. No levers. No knobs. Nothing anywhere that says anything about cruise. Etc. Absolutely nothing to indicate it has cruise control.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/asset.php?fid=55644&uid=27021&d=1447108611

The trans code on the door pillar sticker is "K". A quick google search says that means a C6. So there is the answer to that question.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/asset.php?fid=55645&uid=27021&d=1447108717

I believe it was the full sized bronco where the C6 was only available until 1986.

Attachments

• nocruise.jpg
    nocruise.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 7
  • door sticker1.JPG
    door sticker1.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 5

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the cruise control buttons might have been on the OEM steering wheel and yours looks to be aftermarket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online