7.3 Oil Filters

Tyee II

Reaction score
1993IDI with Banks Turbo what is the correct Motorcraft Oil Filter to use on this engine ? Are there better filters ? Thanks for your replies.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FL-1995

It's a PSD filter but works for us. Toss in an extra quart since it's bigger

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The original 1 quart filter is really not used any longer for our trucks. Most use the Motorcraft FL 1995 filter because its larger and the filter media is finer than the other smaller Motorcraft filter. Wics makes a great filter as does Donaldson for our engine. Please do not use any Fram filter products. Their oil filters are not very good when filtering oil. Same with the fuel filters and can't really comment on the air filters. Just do not buy these products unless you have new evidence they work.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a purolator gold or wix on everything I own. My 6.9 has a purolator gold 7.3 psd filter on it right now. Extra quart and finer filtration

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I like the mobil 1 filter.
There's actually one even bigger. Meet the elf7405.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get my oil filters at a Navistar/International dealership. They don't sell anything other than the FL1995 for the 7.3, that's all I see on there shelf. Pretty sure they are made by Wix.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get my oil filters at a Navistar/International dealership. They don't sell anything other than the FL1995 for the 7.3, that's all I see on there shelf. Pretty sure they are made by Wix.

Wrong! Made by Purolator.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the mobil 1 filter.
There's actually one even bigger. Meet the elf7405.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Considered using these before but they're pretty expensive and the powerstoke filters are already an upgrade for our trucks

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My local rural king has all of these oversized Hastings filters, are there any oversized Hastings filters that will work on our idi's that would be better than a motor craft 1995? Just wondering since I can pick them up in store

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My local rural king has all of these oversized Hastings filters, are there any oversized Hastings filters that will work on our idi's that would be better than a motor craft 1995? Just wondering since I can pick them up in store

I think its that one on the side ;Really LOL

They should be able to match thread and diameter and be able to look what will fit, napa did this with my coolant filter.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score