7.3 IDI Turbo Knock -> Engine Pull and Rebuild

MICHAEL MICHAUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes its a Dana not sure how to tell what number it is. Thats excellent news though. That gear oil isnt cheap and I dont want to pull that plate off again haha. I was almost 100 percent sure it had to do with me adding fluid or something I did. I have been parking the passenger side up on a curb to keep it from leaking.

Thanks for the reply!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yes, there are seals that seal the grease into the housing. You have to basically disassemble the housing. Pull axles. Pull carrier. Then change the seals and reassemble. I don’t think you can change them without pulling the carrier. It’s one of those things that you do when you clean one up. Toilet brush the axle tubes to get it good and clean. Grit from the outside I think is what usually wipes out the seals or not being careful taking axles out.

MICHAEL MICHAUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn thats rough. It wasnt leaking before I changed it. Hopefully its just overfilled. If not ill redo the seals when I can. The ass kicker here is that the oil and internals werent even that dirtfy up front.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job!
Do you mind posting a video of what the engine sounds like now to compare to what you started with?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn thats rough. It wasnt leaking before I changed it. Hopefully its just overfilled. If not ill redo the seals when I can. The ass kicker here is that the oil and internals werent even that dirtfy up front.
Fronts usually aren’t unless they’ve been under water or a lot of mud.

Google Dana 60 bible. It will give you everything you ever wanted to know about the axle and how to service it. Overfilling should not cause grease to run out I don’t think. Maybe those seals aren’t designed for immersion but I don’t think that’s the case. The good news is that even if you loose oil there is a good bit still in there to sling around and honestly, the front axle probably won’t see heavy use for most people. Don’t take that as me saying that it’s okay to run it low.

MICHAEL MICHAUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shot this in Nov last year. Just starting to get back into some projects. Was completely burnt out after the rebuild and moving. Hope all is well with you guys.

Bought all new (Moog) tierods and rod ends to hopefully fix the issue where I can turn left fine but the truck won't turn the wheels right all the way.

Last edited:

MICHAEL MICHAUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some pictures. I gotta put them all up on another page so you guys can look through for reference.

You must be registered for see images attach