7.3 Flywheel & Balancer on a 6.9??

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience running a 7.3 Harmonic Balancer on a 6.9? I'm going to be running a 7.3 SM flywheel on it as well. I know the counter-weight is different and I know Ford recommends NOT interchanging the two, but I have heard that some have run both the 7.3 flywheels and balancers on 6.9's with no issues.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the 6.9's have a v-belt and I thought 7.3's had a serpintine pulley... Maybe just the newer ones IDK. If the they are the same type of belt I would bet money on everything working out ok.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 87-91 7.3's has v belts.

Currently my 6.9 has my older 7.3 balancer on it and I havent had any problems in about a year. I bent the 6.9 one taking it out of the truck so I put the 7.3 one on instead.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to know the same thing as well.

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I understood the ford bulliten I read on this was not to mismatch them, so you should be fine running both of then. I didn't read the bulliten for several years after I used a 6.9 flywheel on a 7.3 and it has never caused a problem.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a luk solid flywheel kit that came off of my 7.3 behind the motor and the balancer from the 7.3 on the front. The motor idles almost completly smooth and would probably be better if the pump wasnt leaking so much fuel. I think the housing on it has a crack.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Every balancer will be drilled differantly for the motor its set on. That doesn't mean it can't be used on another motor either. I had my first motor ballanced. Then burned it up... Long old story now...-cuss Anyway the second shop to balance the crank told me it required 42additional added grams to rebalance it...:mad: So the first shop crapped the bed on that balance shot. My past job I could balance a 50 ton steam turbine rotor down to 2 ozs....:eek::D Really neet job too... We really don't turn a high enough rpm for issues to come up...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online