6.9 slow pulling hills

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2. You "recently aquired" this truck because the person who had it before you hasn't probably spent any money on it in a while. How many miles are on it? It's likely the pump and injectors need to be replaced, or at a minimum you need to get the thing timed properly. Whoever times it should be able to tell you how much life is left in the pump. If it's worn, the fuel needs turned up to compensate. What are your EGT's? Your black smoke may be due to poor fuel atomization. Get the injectors pop tested. There are quite a few things you can/should do to ensure your running as best you can, rather than just guessing on the timing and hoping for the best.

It has 137k, I've been wanting this truck for the past 5+ years and I finally got it and now I'm kinda disappointed. The injectors look original but the pump doesn't, Although I cant say for sure. I will be able to time it next month, I'm gonna order everything I need. I don't have a pyrometer so who knows what the egt's are.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like others have said I think you have something up with your truck. It'd be worth timing it at the very least. When these motors wear out the injection pump the timing moves. Thus the need to re-time them periodically. But the one thing no one else mentioned and I myself have personally had experience with are locked front brake calipers. I'm completely serious. We drove my moms crew cab for atleast two years with bad front brake calipers on it. Took it in to have the front suspension serviced and they did the brakes at the same time, didn't catch the brake caliper problem. We thought the motor was worn out, it literally didn't want to pull itself. Let me tell you forcing these things to drag themselves around wears on everything. It is definitely worth your time to atleast check the brake calipers for excessive grab.

It's not sticking brakes.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clyton,
I was not suggesting that all was necessarily fine with your truck...100k is about the normal wear interval for pumps and injectors, and I am sure it probably needs to be timed. My only point was that compared to what I have heard others say I was not expecting much out of my truck the first time I pulled a grade....I was pleasently suprised it held solid with or without a load, and as of my last run I know I have at least w bad injecctors...still held pretty dang good. Gearing makes a big difference in keeping these motors in there "happy spot" for pulling. They will never be the fastest horses in the coral, but they will always finish the race, and usually for a heck of a lot less $$$ than anything else

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clyton,
I was not suggesting that all was necessarily fine with your truck...100k is about the normal wear interval for pumps and injectors, and I am sure it probably needs to be timed. My only point was that compared to what I have heard others say I was not expecting much out of my truck the first time I pulled a grade....I was pleasently suprised it held solid with or without a load, and as of my last run I know I have at least w bad injecctors...still held pretty dang good. Gearing makes a big difference in keeping these motors in there "happy spot" for pulling. They will never be the fastest horses in the coral, but they will always finish the race, and usually for a heck of a lot less $$$ than anything else

Yeah I thought something wasn't right, But I was willing to live with it if I had to.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
You know, something of note that happens to me from time to time is this...

Most of the time I have crazy good power, pulls from a light like a whipped ******, BUT every so often, it's a total slug. I came to the conclusion after several posts here and the sugestions of those with far more knowledge than me, that my IP is getting ready to take a long walk off the short pier. Not to mention the fact that sometimes my truck sounds very powerstroke-ish, and other times it purrs...

I would agree that your IP could be causing the low power, I have about 130k I guess on mine, so that makes sense.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
years ago when i still had a boss, he had a '90 F-Superduty with a 7.3 and a 5 speed with 5.13 gears. that truck never started right, smoked and was low on power. i talked him in to getting a new IP for it. boy did it wake that truck up. you should have seen the smile on his face the first time he drove it after i swapped the pump.

yes, a 3.55 equipped empty truck should climb any hill east of the rockies in direct drive gear. in fact i drove a 3.55 equipped truck (Heath's crew cab) through the rockies, and it didnt lose power until i got up over 6000-7000 feet near the continental divide.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm gonna get an injector pump and injectors next month, Might as well since I'll have the money. I reckon my 92-96 front clip swap will have to wait.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after that save your pennies for a turbo. you won't miss your gasser then.

I really wanna keep it N/A, Less things to go wrong. I'd just like for it to run like it's supposed to.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Get a set of injectors from Russ (type 4) he pressure matches an entire set.
Get your pump from Mel (Agnem). No reason for a moose pump if you're staying N/A. So just get a baby moose stock tuned pump that is built by Mel and his reliable shop.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I really wanna keep it N/A, Less things to go wrong. I'd just like for it to run like it's supposed to.

i hear ya. i have had 3 IDIs and none has had a turbo. i have never been one to mod up my trucks too much. they are used as a tool that's about it. and i have always been content with my N/A IDIs. they are what they are, and the simplicity of them is what makes them attractive.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where i live there is a really steep hill that's about 2 miles long.
In my truck (f-350 with a 7.3 n/a ) I can cruze up it in 5th (empty) going about 50 mph.

I once hauled a massive load of super heavy duroid shingles, and went up the hill (in 4th) like it wasn't even there. I had all sorts of power to spare.:dunno

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828