6.9 questions

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to hopefully buy my first IDI- 87 f250 6.9 zf5 4x4, I noticed that one of the tech articles says not to use the block heater on any 6.9- are you supposed to get a different freeze plug style or use a different style coolant preheater altogether- another quick question- anyone hear of cavitation issues with the 6.9?? I know its possible but does it happen very often??

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The reason is because the early blocks had a weak spot where the factory block heater was, and they could crack there.

You could probably put it into another freeze plug hole, or buy a magnetic oil pan heater and heat the oil up. Will help some.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The factory block heaters will only fit the oem location. All the other freeze plug locations will only fit a freeze plug. They all have a tiny step machined into the bottom of the plug opening to "catch" the freeze plugs. The oem heater hole has no step to catch anything. It will hold a standard type freeze plug though... It wont hold a factory freeze plug...

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I just installed a block heater in my '84 this past winter. The original one had been removed by some PO and a freeze plug had been installed there. But why remove it if it doesn't leak? Just don't use it if you're afraid of it.

I have used it for two months with no cracking. One thing I noticed is that the installation instructions from International state that you MUST install it with the element pointing at the 11 o'clock position. I realized that it is possible to have it anywhere from 9 to 1 o'clock-- if it isn't directly in between it will actually be in contact with the cylinder wall inside the block! I have theorized that this could be the cause of at least some of the cracking issues. Others here feel differently, just my $.02. Use it at your own risk I guess.