6.9 Idi turbo oil feed

Austin fretwell

Reaction score
I am in the process of turboing my 1985 f250 6.9 and I am doing a mid mount set up with a factory 2000 7.3 turbo I am concerned about the oil feed lines to and from the turbo. Where should I tap into the oil feed and will it drop my oil pressure if I do that I am using a 1/4 inch jic fitting for the feed and 3/8 for the return and 3/8 hose for both

Austin fretwell

Reaction score
Not trying to sound dumb but if their is pressure on your feed line then won’t their be pressure on your return pushing it back to the motor

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't thin there will be very much pressure on the return. The oil basically falls back to the oil pan from the higher up mounting of the turbo. The same goers from the oil that lubes your rocker arms. No oil pressure in the heads themselves. As for the feed line, You probably won't have to worry about oil pressure drop in the engine. I believe that all of the externally accessible oil ports are 1/8" NPT on an 6.9 and a N/A 7.3.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I guess the way I read it was a remote mount underneath?
And to answer your question/theory, not at all. Why do you think the drain is considerably larger?
Was literally just someone last week talking about his set up. Exactly what you're trying to do.
In short, you will blow oil past the seals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You only need a feed line 1/8 inch in size. Now if you had a turbo block then you can use a 1/4 inch feed line. Every idi besides the actual turbo blocks have the 1/8 inch oil ports in the block. Now bout the return line. On my Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo the return or some call it the drain line is either 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch. It dumps directly into the valley pan where the cdr used to dump. Be careful with your return line

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the ideal supply/return sizes lines?
Also, many people say you can’t put a psd turbo on a idi but I’ve done it. All you gotta do is make an adapter and o ring it.

Austin fretwell

Reaction score
All I did was build a plate to go we’re the ped use to bolt down with fittings for the feed and return and what type of line should I use I was looking at power steering line

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the ideal supply/return sizes lines?
Also, many people say you can’t put a psd turbo on a idi but I’ve done it. All you gotta do is make an adapter and o ring it.

Precision turbo says that -4 for feed and -10 for drain is the standard for their turbos. Bigger is better for the feed and return, but it gets to be a diminishing return past the -4/-10 standard

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Precision turbo says that -4 for feed and -10 for drain is the standard for their turbos. Bigger is better for the feed and return, but it gets to be a diminishing return past the -4/-10 standard
And that’s 1/4 feed, 5/8 return, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online