6.9 idi into a 69 f100

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm picking up a 1969 F100 with a rebuilt straight six and four speed manual pretty in the next few weeks and I've already been thinking of swapping in the 6.9 from my daily driver 86 f250. As far as mounting the engine/trans I won't have an issue getting it to work, but as far as guages go what has anyone who has done a similar swap do? I'm going to drive the 69 as a daily driver for a while because the idi that's going to be the donor is in major need of an overhaul but still gets me to work with over 1,000,000km on it all original. So I have time to make this build right and would like to get as much info beforehand so its a quick swap. Any input on a swap into a late 60's early 70's is greatly appreciate.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock sensor array is pretty basic: oil pressure, water temp, speedo, tach, volts, fuel.

You can either use the gauge panel from your daily driver or from junkyard or get some aftermarket gauges and make your own. Where does the current speedo run on the truck?

I would probably run aftermarket gauges if i was you. That way you really know the oil pressure and temps, coolant temp, voltge, tach, speed, boost and egt if applicable, and fuel levels. The stock gauge cluster isnt very accurate on the temperatures. The VDO gauges i have and their sensors allow me to run a warning light for the temperatures if i recall correctly.

Neat project, please take photos / pictures :)

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the only picture I have of the 69 F100
You must be registered for see images attach

And for the guages I would ideally like the stock ones to function like the would with the original straight 6 in it but am planning on turbo charging the donor motor so aftermarket guages will also be used. Ideally I would like the stock guage pod to work as it should with no dead guages but plan on having aftermarket oil pressure, pyro, boost, fuel pressure, volts, and tach. I have a line on two more 6.9's that if all goes according to plan I will have a 85 and 87 added that might become the donors as both parts trucks need safeties to be registered in our province so hopefully I won't have to use my 1,000,000km+ truck for the swap as I would love to see it break 2 million km :) but maybe I have to many projects on the go, between both my IDI's, my mustang, mercury meteor, 2006 f150 a.k.a. (piece of **** truck wish i never bought it), my 94 F-150 and my international/McCormick antique tractors I'm restoring maybe I have to many projects lol. Not to mention finishing the 74 f100 restoration and starting the build/ restoration on the 76 lincon, 74 f100, 78 bronco and 87 f150 my fiancé has me doing all the mechanical work on. Only problem in finding a woman who loves saving rust bucket fords like you do is her builds can easily come before yours lol

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I've always liked the idea of putting an IDI in a bumpside, but that 300 I6 is a damn good motor too.

Are you going to beef up the suspension? A 1200lb engine will be a bit much for F100 springs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online