6.9 IDI ARP Headstud ?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it looks like the saga continues with my truck. I took it for a drive yesterday and noticed bubbles coming from overflow tank while engine is running. Looks like I will be pulling heads off this engine AGAIN :rolleyes:.
My question is, I have re-used these ARP headstuds about 5x already and not sure how many more times I can use them before they start fatiguing. Maybe they have already been stretched a few too many times which is why engine had a headgasket failure :dunno?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
something in this area is infecting our engines, lets just call it the "Jerry Brown Syndrome"!

I would try re-torqueing the studs first.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your torque wrench is properly calibrated, and your having repetitive head gasket failures, I would question the flatness of the block or head. ARP studs don't stretch that I've ever heard.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mels's comments about ARP studs is so very true. They can be reused many times without issues. Something about the cleanliness of the head to block surfaces is suspect or as Mel stated. something might be warped. Sadly a straight edge is the best way to "find the warp".

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses Mel & Gary. I've done this job so many times I did make double sure that everything was surgically clean & both the block & head decks were checked when I brought them to machine shop earlier this year.
I just pressure tested the cooling system and it does not hold pressure. After about 15 minutes, it bled down a few psi :/.
I have my spare "ready to run" crate motor sitting in garage and might swap them out. I was thinking about selling it until now.
This engine definitely has some bad juju on it, as we all know with the previous thread I posted earlier this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online